Painful osteoarthritis

Options

Hi everyone. I’m new today and have very painful osteoarthritis for a number of years. waiting for injections later this week which does alleviate some of the pain for a few weeks. Can’t take pain killers as they don’t agree with me. Paracetamol is my limit which help slightly. Sleeping is a problem. Anyone else have the same 🤔🤨

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    edited 14. Sep 2020, 20:20
    Options

Hi @Celiahunter and welcome to the online community,

Dealing with painful osteoarthritis is quite a challenge especially when many painkillers don't agree with you. It's good to hear that injections and paracetamol do help alleviate some of the pain. All the members on this forum have been affected by arthritis in some way, so I'm sure there are many who will understand what you're going through and will want to respond with supportive suggestions.

Versus Arthritis has a useful page that you might like to read - it's also got some helpful suggestions on how to manage your fatigue and help you get some valuable sleep.

Do have a look round the forum (links on the right hand side) and join in with any chats you are interested in.

Best wishes,

Anna :)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Pain and lack of sleep go hand in hand with OA, luckily you say that Paracetamol helps. I take ever increasing amounts of Morphine and it just knocks the edge off, sleep is an average of 2 or 3 hours a night followed by dropping off several times during the day; I have even nodded off for 20 minutes when sat on the loo, fortunately I have drop down bars on both sides of the WC!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Gosh yes we all probably understand how you feel Celia.

Have you tried warm microwaveable wheatbags?? I have also tried a tens machine (In fact I have worn two out over the years!)

I also did one of the old Arthritis Care's courses 'how to manage your long term condition' It really did help me to manage my pain most of the time.

Some people have found a lot of help from pain clinics too.