Methotrexate injection site

Options
Amy99
Amy99 Member Posts: 5
edited 18. Sep 2020, 14:13 in Chat to our Helpline Team

I did my injection a week ago and in due to do the next one today. I woke up today and the injection site from last week is red and raised and really itchy. Is this concerning?

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 794
    Options

Hi @Amy99

It does look a bit inflamed and as it is a week ago and you have just had a reaction ,maybe you should let your GP or the practice nurse look at it for you and give you advice on how to proceed.

Hope all goes well and let us know how you got on Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Hi Amy, I've been taking methotrexate for 20 years, tablets not injections. Whenever I get any minor problem - cold, sore throat, threat of cellulitis - I just skip that week's meth to give my body chance to recover. Much better to check it out with your rheumatology team, as Christine suggested, as soon as you can but given that it's the weekend........

If you've been on meth for a while you shouldn't notice the absence of one week's injection and better safe than sorry to my way of thinking.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Given that it's a weekend I would run the problem by my pharmacists in your shoes best of luck!

• EnglishRose63
    EnglishRose63 Member Posts: 5
    edited 22. Feb 2021, 09:45
    Options

Hi, I get the same itchy rash if I inject in my stomach. I'm going to try different areas from now on to see if it helps.

t

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

I was advised to alternate the injection site every week. First week right thigh, 2nd week left side abomen.3rd week left thigh and finally right side abdomen. If you still get a bad injection with any one site, leave that alone and only use the sites that don't react. I always had a bruise, but by the time that site was due to be used again, it had recovered. Hope this helps. I used to keep a chart so I wouldn't get mixed up.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein