Constant pain

Options

Hi all,

I'm new to this and just want to know I am not alone and actually someone understands actuall how much pain I am in. Sitting writing this, I could cry with the pain I’m feeling. I have OA in my feet alone with bunions and pain in ball of foot, left knee, left hip, my spine and both hands. I am on naproxen and co-codamol and these do not seem to touch the pain anymore.

I feel like I am ignored when at doctors or over reacting as all I seem to get from doctors is “it’s arthritis” or “will do a blood test” and never hear anything again as bloods always come back normal. I do not see anyone for my arthritis and just feel alone. I am struggling to cut up my food, carry things and walk without a limp or pain. I am 46 years young and a teacher and constantly on my feet and moving about. I work full time but come a Friday, I am in so much pain my full weekend is ruined. I am lucky I get 3/4 hours sleep at night, I constantly wake to numb hands and aches in my full body, find it difficult to get comfortable, always having to change positions. It’s really getting me down.

anybody else feel like this or have any ideas of what I can do to help.

thanks

jeana

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @jeana, welcome to the online community!

You are under a lot of pain due to the osteoarthritis in many of your joints. When you go to the doctors you feel you are ignored and left to deal with it yourself despite the fact that the naproxen and co-codamol you have been given no longer working. This has led to a sever shortage of sleep and a determination in your life in general, as well as making you work as a teacher extremely difficult.

I would suggest a couple of things - first get a referral to a pain clinic and preferably also a physio who may be able to help you with other suggestions tailored to your specific condition. The pain clinic will be able to help with your medication and make sure you are given something which may help you. I would also suggest you change your GP and see a different doctor. You don’t need to keep seeing someone who will ignore what you are telling them. There are other painkillers and ideas which could be looked at.

Blood tests only help diagnose you if you have rheumatoid arthritis. as you have OA they’re pretty irrelevant. And X-ray, if you can get the doctor to refer you, would give a better picture of how badly your joints have been affected and with that you could be considered for joint replacements if that is appropriate - but you’d only know if it’s appropriate with an x-ray.

Being a teacher is huge job, so much physical activity goes into it and it’s important for you to be able to both function there and have something resembling a home life you enjoy as well. Not only that, but you need sleep, and if the pain is affecting that then you need more help. Calling our helpline on 0800 5200 520 (free Monday - Friday 9am - 8pm) will give you access to more knowledgeable people who may be able to suggest more help. I’d also have a look through these sites which might help with some new suggestions.

A hot shower before bed could help with both pain and loosening stiff muscles - heat often helps reduce pain, and a shower can help with other sleep issues as well by getting you into a routine. I’d also talk to your pharmacist and see if there are any over-the-counter painkillers - like ibuprofen - which you could take with your current medications safely. Try to take your painkillers an hour or two before you go to bed to give them the maximum chance to take effect at the right time, and maybe look into changing your mattress as the right mattress could really help to reduce pain at night too. You’d have to go to a bed shop and try a few different mattresses to see what works best for you. I’d also look into some stress management exercises - like meditation or mindfulness - as they can both help with the stress lack of sleep and pain cause, and can also help control pain themselves.

You are not alone and other people have had their painkillers stop working and have been supported when that happens. You deserve to be supported as well ,so don’t give up. Listen to some of the other members of the community as I’m sure they will have a lot of advice for you. Have a look around the rest of the community and see if there is any other conversations going on which may help or be interesting. The people here are really friendly.

It was lovely to meet you. Please let me know how it goes.

Shell

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I know exactly how you feel, I have widespread OA and spinal problems and am in constant pain despite swallowing ever increasing amounts of Morphine. You need to push to be referred to a Pain Clinic, they are the experts in pain and can try different meds and other treatments with you.

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options

Unfortunately there are many of us with many types of arther but sharing the one thing that unites our conditions, pain. My own way of dealing with this is the cognitive way, I live on the good times in my mind, stroking my gd’s hair, playing raspberries with her, riding my bike, working in my shed, being with my family reliving the good times with the laughter ringing in my ears, it dulls any pain. Painkillers stopped offering relief a while back now.

Be aware of the long dark nights when you unleash your thoughts they can be the ones that harm our frame of mind and drag our emotions low and with low emotions our conditions feels worse.

Choose your route and allow yourself the good times.

its a grin, honest!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hello @jeana

You poor thing! You are really suffering and sound just like me when I first came to this forum. I cried a lot too. I cried for me and cried at how lovely everyone was on here and how they 'got' me without need for long explanations....😓

But it HELPED a lot.

I got advice and support and life feels a lot better now and under control most of the time.

You do have options and can ask your GP for some referrals. I would suggest. Physiotherapy and a pain clinic straight away.

GPs know a fair bit about lots of stuff, but aren't really able to be 'experts' in any one area - Pain clinic just deal with pain. Arthritis is a very common group of conditions, but each of us is an individual and shouldn't feel fobbed off.

Another suggestion which you may have already tried is footwear? My Sis in Law works at Amazon and is on her feet all day. Her hips were really suffering and ruining her days off too like you. She got some insoles and also some shoes with memory foam insides and it has honestly helped her a LOT. Not a cure, but much better.

I also use those sticky heat patches you can buy in supermarkets that heat up? they can offer me some mobile comfort when I am unable to rest.

Do keep in touch with us

Take care

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Oh and the numb hands I have some 'resting splints' to use in bed. They keep my hands/wrists where they should be and no more numb hands. My GP said it was carpal tunnel syndrome.