Best knee supports

Stiffasaboard
Stiffasaboard Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hello to everyone, I have been putting this off for a while, but the pain, a nagging pain that is always there in the background, in both my knees is getting too much now, and at 57 it is something I was not expecting this early in my little life.

I have been using elasticated supports for a while but now I feel I need something a bit more firmer to give added support especially when trying to get up from a seated position.

Going up stairs is bearable but going the opposite way, is a one step at a time thing and I guess its starting to notice that " things " aren't as they should be !

So what are everyone with knee problems suggested supports ? I do try to exercise everyday by walking and as I said trying to go up and down the stairs.

Thanks for reading my post and again "Heeeello"

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hello @Stiffasaboard - welcome to the online community!

You're knees have become very stiff and have been causing you more pain and difficulties, and you're hoping for some advice on supports for your knees.

I know what you mean about it being not expected this early in life! i'm only 37 yet my knees are also causing me difficulties much like yours. I find going up and down stairs the worst part, and you're right - down is definitely worse than up. I am constantly glad that the banister is very firm in my house, otherwise I'd have fallen down well before now I'm sure.

I personally don't use supports - I find it too hard to find ones which are comfortable to wear. But if you find they work for you I'd suggest having a look at some of the velcro ones with a hole cut-out for the knee - I have tried these briefly and they are definitely better than the elasticated sleeve ones. I'd also look into using a stick or other hand support - particularly for getting up from seated position. Having a hand support or something to grab and pull makes a huge difference for me.

There are some exercises you can do to specifically improve the muscles around the knees. This would be in addition to your walking. The more you can strengthen the relevant muscles, the less strain is put on the joint itself, so it can really help with the stiffness and pain. Have a look here for some more information:

You haven't said if you take any painkillers or use any other options to manage pain, but it's definitely worth looking into. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are both cheap, over-the-counter painkillers which are safe to be taken together. As the pain gets worse you'll need to talk to your GP, as they tend to start slow on pain management help so you'll want to get started sooner rather than later so you have it when you need it. They can refer you to a physio who can give you personalised advice and treatments, as well as a pain clinic if you need it eventually. In the meantime, here's some information on coping with pain in general:

Do take a look around the online community and join in with the different conversations. The people here are really friendly and helpful, it's well worth joining in where you can.

It's lovely to meet you,

Shell

• Thank you Shell for all the advice,

I do not take any pain relief at the moment as I am a little adverse to taking tablets, but I can see its going to come sooner rather than later.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I have in the past used those little heated pads inside a special tubigrip-like pull on elasticated bandage. That eased things a lot, but i can't say offered much support🤔

Down the stairs is far worse than up for sure! - a second handrail can really help.

I have access to some crutches to help me up out of chairs - the physio at the hospital taught my daughter how to use them so I copied and it works!

There are lots of actual knee supports you can buy online, but I haven't tried any as my knees aren't OA so they ease back off most of the time between flares.

You know what? I'd ask for referral to a physio for some advice specifically for your needs

Best of luck