Hi I'm new here!

Options
EllieN
EllieN Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi I've just come across this charity and it's so lovely to see all of the help and support that is available. My name is Ellie and I was diagnosed with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis when I was 3 years old. I am now 24 and was told that it was likely to go as as I got older, but no sign of it going unfortunately only getting worse, it still causes me a lot of pain in my knee and hands. It is still classed as Juvenile even though I am in my mid-20s, not sure if anyone else is in the same position?

I have muscle wastage in one of my legs due to the arthritis in my knee and had to have an osteotomy operation last year to correct my knee position (it was on the inside of my leg instead of on the front where it should be) It still causes me pain on a daily basis. Having arthritis does stop me from enjoying physical activities with friends and family like long walks or running around with my little nieces and nephews and sometimes people don't always understand that I can't do certain things, and when I say I have arthritis- the common response is 'but your not an old lady, how can you have it?!) I love that this charity highlights the impact arthritis can have and how you can get it at any age.

Ellie :)

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @EllieN

Thank you for your kind words about Versus Arthritis 🙂

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to the Versus Arthritis online Community. It is a great place to give and receive support. Absolutely whatever your age!

I hope you don't mind, but I am going to add a link to some information about Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis not so much for you, but for anyone reading your post who doesn't know what it is:

It's clear you haven't let your Arthritis stop you doing anything in spite of your daily pain. Please do join in wherever you feel comfortable you will get a warm welcome 🙂

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @EllieN

Good to meet you🙂 Welcome to this lovely forum. Versus Arthritis as a charity are doing their best to raise public awareness about the reality of Arthritis. It isn't something to be dismissed as a few aches and pains in older people only is it?

Yes people have come here who have had arthritis since childhood like yourself. Unfortunately it doesn't always disappear in adulthood.

We do have a section for youngers people, but it isn't much used perhaps because most young people are doing like you and getting on with life? I hope so.

BUT pain is pain and we can all help each other with support and tips to make life easier. I do hope you will decide to stay and join us regularly.