Osteoarthritis of my hands

Valerie
Valerie Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in august this year without seeing a doctor, I've had an x-ray to confirm the diagnosis on my hands. I run a cleaning business and often do the cleaning myself OUCH! Anyway I occasional get woken up in the middle of the night with the pain also with a numb  feeling in my hand??? (Can anyone shed some light on this?). I hope everyone is having a beautiful day and thanks.😊

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    edited 21. Oct 2020, 15:19

Hi @Valerie

How lovely to meet you, I'm glad you have chosen to join our online community.

You have been diagnosed by your GP after an x-ray with osteoarthritis. It isn't usual to see a rheumatologist for osteoarthritis as there isn't much that can be done regarding medication to alter your prognosis.

Here is our information on hand and wrist pain. It includes osteoarthritis (OA) of the hands and highlights exercises that might be helpful.

I have problems with my hands and wrists and find heat helpful. I have used a wax bath - wher you heat the wax so it melts and then you dip your hands in and let the wax send it's warmth into your joints. I first had this at physiotherapy though that was many years ago and I don't know if they still offer it.

Your numb feeling may not be OA - if it continues it may be worth a visit to get that checked.

Please do post again to let us know how you get on, if there is any specific help we can give or post on fellow members discussions to offer support

Sending you strength in our campaign month

Take care

Yvonne x

• Valerie

Thank you so much @YvonneH I will monitor the numb feeling and ask my GP about it. 🤗

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

My hands often go numb at night. The GP says this is carpal tunnel in my case and is eased by wearing my resting splints or dangling the arms out of bed and waving them around for a bit! I know it sounds odd but try it!!!

On the subject of your pain at night. There are some painkillers/anti-inflammatories which last 24 hours (slow release) which can help with this. Might be worth a chat with your GP.

Nice to me you @Valerie

• Valerie

Hi @frogmorton

Thanks for the information I have tried the hand dangling out of the bed and yes that helps. 🙏🏽🙂👍🏾

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 24. Oct 2020, 06:58

Aha! @Valerie Then buying some hand splints for at night should 'solve' the problem. It stops you bending your wrist in your sleep. You should be able to buy them from a good pharmacy. Mine have metal inside to align my hand/wrist correctly.

I suppose with COVID a trip to the GP for a diagnosis might not be what you'd want, (although ideally you would), and to be fair you'd probably be told to get a splint!! I was🙄

Let us know how you get on👍️

• Valerie
    edited 27. Oct 2020, 20:19

Hi @frogmorton@frogmorton yes I have my splints now and that helps loads. No there is no chance of getting to see a doctor this year. 🤦🏾‍♀️🙂

I have been on this for 2 months and they have seemed to help. I also got a PT at the gym to give me some exercises to strengthen my muscles which was fun. 🏋🏾‍♂️

Edit: Whilst its great to see the the actual product you use and to hear how it works for you, please remember there are many similar products online and in the High Street. Also it can sometimes be best to chat to your health professionals first. Anna ( Mod) : )

My blood tests came back and I'm slightly eniemic, so I'll search for iron tablets, but maybe they do this pack⬆️ with iron in it.

Thanks! 🤗