Tingling in Little finger and one next to it

I have a problem Tingling in Little finger and one next to it particularly when my elbow is bent so its especially a problem at night I think I have read this may be cubital tunnel and need to avoid leaning on elbow or bending it while asleep

Any ideas how I achieve this

Comments

•  

Hi Lotsofpain

Thank you for posting on the forum. I’m sorry to hear that you are feeling tingling in your little finger and the one next to it, particularly when your elbow is bent, and that it’s a problem at night. Your thinking it may be Carpal tunnel.

‘Carpal tunnel syndrome causes a tingling feeling or pins and needles, numbness, and sometimes pain in the hand. The symptoms can sometimes be felt in the forearm or further up your arm. It tends to come on gradually over a period of weeks.’

A resting splint might be helpful at night and you could discuss this with your GP, a physiotherapist or occupational therapist would be able to advise on splints. If you find that warmth helps your fingers, maybe a wheat bag or a wax bath might be soothing for you.

It may be worth checking the tingling sensation out with the GP, he/she will ask you to describe your symptoms and look at your hand and wrist, as sometimes carpal tunnel can be mistaken for something else.

I have given you a link to Carpal tunnel syndrome, this will also include some information about splints which I hope will be helpful for you. 

If at any point you would like to talk things through, please give us a ring on our helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am – 8pm) here we can talk in confidence and informally.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline Advisor

• Lotsofpain
    Lotsofpain Member Posts: 157

i was actually thinking  cubital tunnel  from what i read though i have never heard of this

• Hi Lotsofpain

Thank you for posting again and I am so sorry for misreading your last post, I had given you information for carpal tunnel and you were talking about cubital tunnel. We have some information about that within the link below to elbow pain. Some of the general self help maybe useful for this condition too, possibly a splint, though do have a chat with your GP about this and see what is advised.

‘Cubital tunnel syndrome is caused by the ulnar nerve being squeezed where it passes the inside of the elbow. This can be due to the space it passes through becoming tighter than usual.

In rare cases, it can be due to arthritis. Other causes can include a fracture around the nerve which has healed into a different position or new bone growing when the fracture heals.’

Once again, my apologies and best wishes

Lynda

Helpline advisor

• Lotsofpain

Thank yoiu my GP has recommended a brace to wear at night and a posture brace during the day as my posture is apparently contributing to the problem . Neither is eligible for NHS prescription unlike back and leg orthotics so any reccomendation particularly ifor a posture braces that does not hurt or has extra padding under the armpits

0 likes, 0 replies

• Hi Lotsofpain

Unfortunately, we can’t provide advice about posture braces and we are unable to endorse or recommend any particular products.

As certain positions and movements can make conditions that affect the nerves in the elbow joint worse, it’s important to seek professional advice. We would normally recommend speaking to a physiotherapist for advice on support, posture improvement and movement. They can advise on what’s best for you as an individual.

Your GP should be able to refer you to one of these services. You can also self-refer privately if you wish.  

You may find this information from the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

While the use of these braces in the short term can help someone feel better with temporary improvement of posture, in the long term the muscles will become dependent on the brace and thus will be weaker.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

A brace for your arm at night would be a good idea if it happens more then. I wear hand splints to minimise my carpal tunnel so sure it would help you with your issue too.

• Lotsofpain

Well I have a elbow brace now which keeps my elbow and arm absolutely straight whether I am going to be able to sleep with it remains to be seen