Matron's Munchies

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Now those mushrooms look really good Kath, but what are they like with marmite. Imagine if they were horrible and all those mushrooms wasted?😮

The potato and carrot pancakes I will definitely try I love things like that and have some mash frozen so half-way there🤔

Chocolate cake easily made vegan too. Yum thank you 😘

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

Daily Recipe (definitely vegan with a wartime pud).

Monster 'Sausage', Cheese, Pesto & Roasted Pepper Sandwich

This is a delicious and filling sandwich for hungry kids, teenagers and adults! It can be enjoyed hot or cold so good for a nice indulgent lunch, picnics or the school or office lunchbox :)

Ingredients: 

• 2 vegan sausages (eg Linda McCartney, Naked Glory, Heck, Richmond, Tofurky, Moving Mountains, Birds Eye, supermarket own-brands), cooked according to instructions on packet
    • 1 ciabatta roll, sliced in half lengthways (or use a GF roll if necessary)
    • 2-3 tbsp vegan pesto (eg Sacla, Zest, supermarket own-brands) 
    • 1-2 roasted red peppers from the jar, cut in half
    • Good handful vegan mozzarella (or any melting vegan cheese of your choice)
    • Handful rocket or mixed leaves 

Method: 

1. Cook the sausages according to the instructions on the packet. 
    2. Heat the grill to medium-high.
    3. Lay the ciabatta roll halves, cut-side up, on a baking tray and spread them both with the pesto. 
    4. Add the peppers and vegan cheese and then pop them under the grill until the cheese has nicely melted. 
    5. Add the sausages and rocket or mixed leaves then sandwich the two sides together and enjoy. 

Homity Pie – Recipe No 134

Here it is… the promised Homity Pie recipe! Let me tell you, it’s totally delicious, TOTALLY!

Homity Pie is an open topped pie said to have first been made by Land-Girls during WW2 and supposedly to have originated in the West Country.

It’s REALLY difficult finding the original recipe as there are so many bastardised versions hanging around on the internet, so after having researched for hours (yes I am a food nerd) and comparing recipes with rationing, the below recipe is likely the closest version to it’s origins taking into account the scarcity of eggs and onions.

You HAVE to make this. It’s delicious and so easily portable when cold, that it makes it perfect to take on a picnic!

Homity Pie

• 4 largeish potatoes
    • 2 largeish leeks
    • 1 eating apple, cored and chopped into small cubes
    • 2 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
    • 1 egg
    • butter or margarine (generous)
    • 4-6 oz cheese (use more if you have lots to spare)
    • fresh or dried thyme (to your own taste)
    • salt and pepper (to your own taste)
    • Shortcrust pastry made with 6 oz flour and 3 oz fat

Method

1. Make the shortcrust pastry using plain flour (we used half strong wholemeal and half white) and 3 oz fat (I used 1/2 veg shortening and 1/2 hard margarine). Rub fat into flour to make breadcrumbs and then bind together with a little water to make a pliable dough.
    2. Roll the dough out into a greased pie dish, mine measured about 10″ x 6″ and place it into oven on 200 c for about 10 minutes or so to half cook.
    3. Leave skins on your potatoes and chop into chunky cubes, place in boiling water and simmer until tender
    4. Chop up leeks and garlic and saute in a pan gently (with butter or marg) until cooked. Add in plenty of thyme and the chopped apple and toss
    5. Drain potatoes then add to pan of leeks, 1 whisked egg, add more butter or marg and 2oz of the grated cheese and loosely mix, add in lots of salt and pepper until it tastes good!
    6. Dollop mixture into the pie dish on top of the pastry, then top with 4 oz of cheese (or more if you have more available in your cheese ration as it completes the pie beautifully), a sprinkle more of thyme and pepper
    7. Cook in oven at 220C until the top is browned
    8. Remove and leave to cool a bit before serving

Makes about 8 portions

Total cost: £2.50

Rolled oat macaroons 92/100

Eight days and 8 recipes to go until the war is over! Final weigh-in day is October 1st and although I know I haven’t lost the hoped for 100 lb weight loss in one year without dieting, I know it’s still coming off slowly and I’m looking forward to seeing what the scales finally say..

The rolled oat macaroons were really tasty and I ate way to many of them yesterday. Sweet and crunchy…

They are very simple to make

Rolled oat macaroons

• 3 oz margarine
    • 2 oz sugar
    • 4 oz self raising flour (or plain with 1 teaspoon of baking powder added)
    • 4 oz rolled oats
    • 1 teaspoon almond essence
    • 2 dessertspoons of golden syrup (corn syrup or maple syrup would work too)…A dessertspoon (UK) is a tablespoon in N America

Method

1. Cream together the margarine, sugar, syrup and almond essence together.
    2. Sift the flour (and baking powder) and add to the mixture with the rolled oats
    3. Mix thoroughly, if the mixture is too dry add a little milk just to bind the mixture together
    4. Roll into 12-16 balls and put on a greased baking tray or lay on parchment paper leaving some space for spreading
    5. Bake for 15-20 minute at 180C until golden brown
    6. Cool on baking tray before removing

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton

ooooh!

I could eat the lot Kath, but i might burst! I think I can 'do' a version of Homity pie you know.

Those sausages would be great at bonfire night. (Just a thought that should be quieter this year shouldn't it?)

The macarons are already Vegan so straight in there!! Thank you so much 😘

• Kitty
    edited 23. Oct 2020, 09:54

Daily Recipe (another one for vegan mince Toni, perhaps with extra mushrooms). 🤗

Cottage Pie

Tonight I am well stuffed (in the culinary sense)… I baked a wartime ‘cottage pie’ and fear that an actual cottage could have been the main ingredient as I am so full! This was one-hell-of-a-satisfying-meal on a cold winter night! I must make this more often…

One of the most satisfying things about the meal was the comments that flew my way as it was being gobbled down

Youngest hobbit…” Yum- this tastes good! There is no bits of starch in it like last time…”

Eldest hobbit …. ” Jeremy (boyfriend) wants to hire you as a cook”..

Eldest hobbits boyfriend.… ” Every meal I have tasted here has tasted so good..”

Middle hobbit …” Ewww- what’s that????” (this is not surprising as he is a vegetarian who doesn’t like vegetables)

Eldest hobbit….(who is also vegetarian but who I prepared a separate topping for)… ” ………just silence….” (trust me this is good!)

Try this fabby, tasty, tummy filling, stick to your ribs meal- it is worth the effort!

Cottage Pie

• 1 lb mince beef ( note a weeks ration of mince beef for one person was about 1/2 lb )
    • several large potatoes
    • 2 oz cheese
    • dried herbs (Rosemary & Thyme work well)
    • salt and pepper
    • beef stock like bovril ( 1 pint or more)
    • bisto gravy powder
    • peas and finely chopped carrots and onion optional
    • blob butter or margarine

Method

1. Brown the mince
    2. Add the chopped veggies (optional)
    3. Add salt and pepper and herbs
    4. Add beef stock, stir and simmer for 15 minutes (thickening towards the end by mixing bisto powder with a little cold water to a runny paste and adding to beef stirring all the time- beef sauce should be quite thick!)
    5. Meanwhile chop up all the potatoes into small chunks
    6. Place in salted hot water and bring to the boil until tender and drain.
    7. Mash with generous blobs of butter or margarine, add salt and pepper to taste
    8. Finally add milk so mash is spreadable
    9. Place beef sauce in a small cooking tray with deep sides or shallow casserole dish
    10. Pipe or spread mashed potato on top
    11. Sprinkle with 2 oz of grated strong cheddar and some dried herbs if you like
    12. Place in oven for 20 minutes at 200 c
    13. Finish off under broiler/grill to brown top

Serve with steamed fresh veggies!

Serves 4 with veggies

Mock apricot flan

Carrots were utilized a lot during WW2..

They were promoted as a secret weapon against the enemy enabling pilots to see in the dark and civilians on the home-front were encouraged to eat up their carrots to help them see during the black-out and children warmed to “Doctor Carrot”- the children’s best friend.

Carrots were also rather sweet when cooked and used as a replacement for sugar or other foodstuffs in short supply because of the decrease in imported goods.

Today I tried carrots in a “mock apricot flan” recipe from the Ministry of Food. It was incredibly sweet and perfectly acceptable and I’m sure rather popular during WW2. I made mine into small mini-flans and served them with some mock cream

Mock apricot flan

• 1 lb finely grated young carrots
    • 4 drops almond essence
    • 4 tablespoons of plum jam (6 tablespoons in North America)
    • 4 tablespoons water (6 tablespoons in North America)
    • Shortcrust pastry/oatmeal pastry/potato pastry

Method

1. Line a large 9 inch flan dish or pie dish with shortcrust pastry (or make small individual pies like I did)
    2. Bake without filling in a moderate oven for 25 minutes until golden brown
    3. Meanwhile place the grated carrots, jam, water and almond essence into a saucepan
    4. Bring to a simmer and cook gently and stir for around 20 minutes until you achieve a thick pulp
    5. Spoon into the cooked flan case and return to oven for 5 minutes
    6. Serve with custard or mock cream

Mock cream recipe

• 125 grams margarine or butter
    • 4 tablespoons of castor or fine granulated sugar (6 tablespoons in Canada or USA)
    • a little water if using butter
    • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Method

Mix margarine and sugar together well and whip for 5 minutes until white and fluffy.

Add a teaspoon of vanilla essence and a little water if needed (if using butter)

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton

Yes I can to it with TVP Kath no problem looks yum.....a bit dubious about carrot mock apricot flan though.....what do you think😟

• Kitty

Daily Recipe

Toni I once tried a wartime pud made with carrots. It was very sweet.

Vegetable Stew

I HATE throwing anything away…. I am FRUGAL by not only necessity but because I detest wastefulness. I’m not sure where that has come from but it has. Apparently the rationing and the mending and making do philosophy during the 1940’s lived with our grandmother’s for the rest of their lives. We need some of that these days to realize that the way we are living as a species as a whole is not sustainable anymore..

So here’s my own version of veggie stew- it uses up slightly rubbery carrots and potatoes and less than perfect veggies that need disguising but taste-just-as-good-if-you-were-to-wear-a-blind-fold.

I made this stew 3 days ago and I still have enough for a hearty meal tonight with fresh bread and butter

Vegetable Stew

• 1/2 white or green cabbage
    • small cauliflower
    • 2 large onions
    • several carrots
    • several potatoes
    • 1 large can tomatoes or several large fresh ones
    • peas, sweetcorn, parsnip or whatever else needs using up
    • oxo and bisto (or your own homemade stock and cornstarch to thicken)
    • salt, pepper, herbs such as thyme and rosemary
    • water

Method

1. Wash veg where applicable
    2. Chop potatoes in half or quarters
    3. Chop up rest of veg into regular size chunks
    4. Chop onions and saute in a large saucepan with a little butter
    5. Once sauted add rest of chopped veg and can of tomatoes or fresh tomatoes
    6. Add stock or a few cubes of oxo with around about a litre or so of water
    7. Add some salt and pepper and bring to boil
    8. Reduce heat and simmer until the large chunks of potato are tender enough to eat
    9. Ten minutes before you finish cooking mix the ‘Bisto’ or the cornstarch into a paste with some water and pour slowly into stew stirring all the time to thicken the mixture
    10. Once thickened, taste stew and add more herbs and spices according to taste

Serve with fresh buttered bread…

Serves 8 to 10

NOTE: You can use a homemade soup in the stew or add corned beef for extra flavour!

Curried potatoes

When I found this old 1940s wartime recipe in a book I punched the air and went YESSSSSS! I kind of wanted something that was like fast food but without the unhealthy bits and for anyone British, this was like the healthy version of “chips, curry sauce and mushy peas” and this was surprisingly good and there was no added fat in any shape or form! (although the original recipe calls for 1 oz of dripping to be dotted over the top while baking)

Curried Potatoes

• 2lb washed potatoes in their skins
    • 1 dessertspoon of curry powder
    • 1 dessertspoon of medium oatmeal
    • pinch of salt
    • 1 oz dripping (optional)

Method

1. Place potatoes in boiling water and parboil for about 10 minutes
    2. Mix curry powder, oatmeal and salt together
    3. Sliced or chunk parboiled potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces
    4. Ensure the surfaces of potato are moist before rolling in the curry powder mixture
    5. Place pieces on baking tray and dot with 1 oz dripping (optional)
    6. Cook in oven at 230 C for about 30 minutes until the outsides start to crisp
    7. Garnish with extra salt and vinegar for that chip shop taste
    8. Serve with fresh peas

AND JUST TO PROVE THAT CARROTS WON THE WAR

Carrot and Sultana Pudding – Recipe No 125

This was just lovely and worth the effort. I steamed it in pudding basin looking breakfast bowl in a normal saucepan with a lid on. I used some muslin in the greased bowl and plopped the mixture in then tied it over the top. I’m sure using some other materials like parchment paper and foil would work well too.

I made a lovely simple lemon sauce (from a wartime cook book) to pour over the top and I’ll post that recipe soon

Carrot and Sultana Pudding

• 6 tablespoons(UK size) self raising flour (or plain with 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda)
    • 1 carrot (grated)
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 3 tablespoons of sultanas
    • pinch of salt
    • 2 ozs chopped suet or hard fat (I used margarine and it was fine)
    • milk to mix
    • pinch of spice cinnamon and nutmeg

Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly. Add the rest of the ingredients and the milk, mixing to a dropping consistency. Pour into a well-greased pudding bowl and steam 1 ½ to 2 hours.

• frogmorton

Just look at that pudding!!

Kath these recipes really make me want to eat some hearty wintery foods......

Stews, soups, hot-pots etc.

They had something 'curried' in war-time? WOW!!! they look yum don't they?

I do lie carrots and obviously carrot cake so surely i should try a carrot dessert🤔

• Kitty

Daily Recipe (fusion between modern and wartime).

Thai Aubergine Curry

This is a simplified version of a Thai street food dish. The combination of aubergine, lemongrass, tamarind, coconut milk, sugar and spices is incredible. Many people have said this is the most delicious curry they've ever eaten! 

Ingredients: 

• 3 large aubergine, each cut into 6 slices (lengthways)
    • Sesame oil for frying (you can also use rapeseed)
    • 5 shallots or 1 large onion, finely diced
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 1 stick lemongrass (bashed)
    • 1 tsp tamarind paste
    • 4 tbsp soya sauce
    • 2 tins coconut milk
    • 2 tbsp syrup (eg maple, agave) or 1 tbsp brown sugar
    • 1 tsp stock powder (eg Marigold, vegan)
    • Juice of 2 limes

Spices

• 2 tsp ground cumin
    • 2 tsp ground coriander 
    • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
    • ½ tsp cinnamon
    • ½ tsp chilli powder
    • Pinch ground cloves
    • Pinch fennel seeds 

Optional: serve with Jasmine rice, Thai crackers (Sainsbury's do a fish-free version... see below), fresh coriander, Thai Basil, lime, unsweetened vegan yoghurt, sweet chilli sauce, toasted cashews

Method: 

1. Either fry the aubergine slices on each side until golden with a little oil and salt OR if you prefer pre-heat the oven to 180ºC (fan)/350ºF/Gas Mark 4, lightly coat the slices in oil and a sprinkle of salt and roast them until golden (around 15 minutes on each side), turning once. Set aside. (Note: we charred ours on a griddle pan first - a few minutes on each side)
    2. Lightly fry the shallots/onion with the fennel seeds in the sesame oil until soft and golden. 
    3. Add the crushed garlic and fry for a further minute. 
    4. Add all the spices, stir and fry for another minute. 
    5. Add the coconut milk, tamarind paste, lemongrass, soya sauce, stock powder, syrup/sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer to reduce for around 20-30 minutes. 
    6. Adjust the flavour to your taste, adding more soya sauce, syrup or lime juice (if necessary). 
    7. Remove the lemongrass before serving. Serve with rice and optional extras.

Wartime Welsh Cakes

Believe it or not I first started making these several years ago in a very old Welsh farmhouse! Authentic or what!

This is a delicious recipe and to me, the Welsh Cakes taste even better the day after where the flavour of the nutmeg comes through.

Wartime Welsh Cakes

• 6 oz plain flour with 3 teaspoons baking powder added (or use self raising flour)
    • 2 oz margarine, butter or dripping
    • 2 oz sultanas (or mixed dried fruit)
    • 1 small carrot grated
    • 2 oz sugar
    • 1 fresh egg or 1 dried reconstituted egg
    • 1 tablespoon milk
    • 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg

Method

1. Rub fat into the flour and baking powder mix until resembles bread crumbs
    2. Stir in nutmeg, sugar and dried fruit
    3. Mix the egg and milk together and add to dry mix to form a stiff dough (add more liquid or more flour as needed)
    4. Treat mixture as pastry and roll out on floured surface to 1/4 inch thick
    5. Use 3 inch rounds to cut out
    6. Pre-heat griddle or heavy frying pan
    7. Grease
    8. Put in Welsh Cakes and cook until golden brown on both sides over a moderate heat (about 4 minutes)
    9. Set aside a cool
    10. Sprinkle with a little sugar
    11. Serve with butter/jam and a nice cuppa strong tea!

Makes about 12-18

Summer Berry Jam – Recipe No 115

This is my favourite jam, head to head with raspberry. It’s flavour is intense and full of the smells of ripe summer berries and if you love pippy jam this won’t disappoint. I love pippy jam, that’s probably why I love raspberry. In my humble opinion these are the only two jams, complete with pips, that should be served with scones and cream (OK fake cream because of rationing).

Mixed type berry jams were popular during the 1940s because many of the berries could be picked from hedgerows or off garden bushes and put all together to have enough to make a batch.

I used the long slow boil method so no added pectin (which you can buy in a packet from your local store if you prefer to use it). No mashing of berries needed (and if you have frozen berries that’s fine too) as gently simmering them for a long time breaks them down shortly before your reach your gelling point (when the jam starts to stiffen and set when you drop a little onto a cold plate).

I find that I only use about half my weekly ration of sugar so I have plenty in the cupboard and at harvest time, during WW2, the government increased it’s weekly sugar ration to help families preserve what they had grown and the weekly allowance per person would sometimes increase from 8 oz to 16 oz per week.

Please have a go at this jam, I actually used 2 lbs of frozen mixed summer berries bought from my supermarket as I am not yet growing these in my garden.

Summer Berry Jam

• 2 lbs of mixed summer berries (I used equal amounts of strawberries, blackberries, red and black currants)
    • 1 lb of sugar
    • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice if available (if not two tablespoons of water)
    • Blob of butter or vegetable oil (reduces foaming)

Method

• Rinse fruit and drain
    • Add to large pan and add sugar and lemon juice
    • Slowly bring to a gentle simmer and slowly stir
    • Cook for 20-30 minutes until a small blob of jam gels on a cold plate (I put a plate in the fridge and drop a smidgen on to it, wait a few minutes then test it for consistency)
    • When it appears to be gelling it is time to pour into a clean jug and pour into hot sterilized jars (I rinsed clean jam jars and placed them in a medium over throughout the jam making process to sterilize)
    • Add hot clean lids and tighten up and set aside
    • Lids should depress as a vacuum forms in the first hour or so

Makes 4 or 5 medium jars

• frogmorton

Kath I have always wanted to try a welsh cake. I have egg replacer so could have a go at them🤔

Kari is coming over this week with her DIL into my house😮 safe I think both are shielding still they want us all to cook together....what do you think? Shall we? Shall I do the welsh cakes maybe?

Not doing jam haveve left it too late for fruit out there although i do have some frozen....

Probably will do my sweet pickled garlic and Carluccio's 'pickled onions'

They never let me down!

we are then supposed to be sharing the spoils.

• Kitty

Daily Recipe

Lentil Sheperds Pie – Recipe No. 183 (Pandemic Pantry Submission)

Lentil Shepherd’s Pie

Makes 6 generous serves

Ingredients

• 4 cups cooked brown lentils, drained
    • 1 tblsp oil
    • 1-2 chopped onions
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 4 cups any minced, grated or finely chopped vegetables (eg mushrooms, carrots, sweet potato, celery, eggplant/aubergine, zucchini/courgette, capsicum/peppers – just use what you have)
    • 400g tin crushed tomatoes or a jar of tomato pasta sauce
    • 1 tsp beef flavoured stock powder or a tsp of vegemite/marmite
    • 2 tsp dry mixed herbs
    • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 tblsp tomato paste

For the topping

• 3 large potatoes plus an equivalent amount of other suitable mashing veg (carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, turnip, parsnip, celeriac, cauliflower etc)
    • salt & pepper
    • butter and a little milk

Method

– Peel the root veg and cut into large chunks. Simmer in salted water until just tender and then drain well. Add some pepper and butter and mash. If the mixture is dry add a little milk (this will depend on which veg you’ve used).

– Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot and soften the onions. Add the minced vegetables, garlic and herbs and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, worchestershire sauce and stock powder and simmer for 30 minutes.

– Remove from the heat and add the lentils and tomato paste and stir through.

– Heat the oven to 180C.

– Pour the lentil mixture into a large rectangular casserole or roasting pan. Top with the mash and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.

I like this served with green veg such as beans or swiss chard.

Wild Garlic & Cheese Scones (based on WW1 Ration Scones from 1918 above)

• 5 oz of white self-raising flour
    • 2 oz of butter or hard margarine
    • 1 egg and a little milk
    • 1 oz grated hard cheese (cheddar would be fine if you have no Parmesan)
    • Several wild garlic leaves chopped very finely
    • Large pinch of salt.

Method

1. Sift flour and large pinch of salt into a bowl
    2. Dot in the butter and then rub into the flour
    3. Add the grated cheese
    4. Add the chopped wild garlic leaves
    5. Add the eggs and milk mixture leaving a spoonful to brush tops of scones before baking
    6. Form a dough that is not too sticky and can be handled.
    7. On a floured surface roll out to about 1/2 inch thick and use cutter or end of glass to create 6 scones (you may get more if you are lucky)
    8. Place on baking tray, brush with egg mixture and sprinkle a little more salt on the top of each scone
    9. Place in pre-heated (200 C) oven for about 20 minutes until a nice mid golden colour.
    10. Remove and place on wire rack.
    11. Enjoy while still slightly warm with butter. Would also be lovely served in a bowl with stew!

Makes 6 or 7

• frogmorton

That lentil shepherd's pie looks fabulous. We should have had a simple pandemic pantry I like that!

As for the cheese scones Paul would LOVE them bless him, buy he's back on his diet.

Thanks Kath 😘

• Kitty

Daily Recipe (Just for Aidan)

Pizza Twister

This is a veganised version of a Jamie Oliver recipe and it's a real crowd pleaser! Great for sharing, tearing and just generally enjoying :) 

Ingredients: 

Dough

• 500g strong bread flour
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 7g sachet of yeast
    • 325ml tepid water 

Filling

(you can get creative and use whatever fillings you fancy but this was the original version)

• 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 
    • 15g/½ bunch fresh basil, leaves torn up roughly 
    • 150g cherry tomatoes, halved (use mixed colours if you want it to look prettier) 
    • 1 courgette, finely sliced
    • 8-10 black olives, stones removed and halved (better to use the olives with stones as they've got more flavour)
    • 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
    • 150g vegan red pesto (eg Sacla, Biona)
    • 150-200g vegan mozzarella (we used MozzaRisella)
    • Salt and pepper 

Method: 

1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC (fan)/375ºF/Gas Mark 5. 
    2. Sieve the flour into a large bowl and add the salt. 
    3. In a jug mix the yeast and water with a fork for a couple minutes until dissolved. Add a pinch of the flour before adding the yeast mix to the bowl. 
    4. Gather the mixture together with your hands and form into a dough. Knead it well on a floured surface for around 5 minutes until you get a silky, smooth, elastic dough. 
    5. Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel for about an hour, or until doubled in size. 
    6. Mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar together in a large bowl then add all the vegetables, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper. 
    7. Go back to the dough and knead it for 30 seconds on a floured surface before rolling it out into a large rectangular shape, around the size of a tea towel. 
    8. Rub the red pesto over the dough using your hands and make sure to spread it to the edges. Add the vegetables and 'mozzarella' evenly over the base. 
    9. Roll the dough up lengthways like a Swiss roll, making sure all the toppings stay inside. Cut the roll into roughly 12 chunks (some big, some small). Place the pieces next to each other, swirl side up, in an oiled oven-proof frying pan (approx. 26cm) or a small oiled baking tray. Cover with a tea towel and leave to prove for around 30 minutes or until doubled in size. 
    10. Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden. Check after 25 minutes that it's not browning too quickly. 

Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake

Vegan chocolate fudge cake - an easy to make, moist, fudgy vegan chocolate cake topped with coconut milk ganache. No one will be able to guess that it's vegan!

Ingredients

Vegan Ganache:

• 350 g (12.5oz) vegan dark chocolate (40-70% cocoa solids. Or use half dark and half milk chocolate) chopped
    • 350 ml (1 1/2 cups) full fat coconut milk (from a tin, NOT the drinking kind)

Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake:

• 360 ml (1 1/2 cups) almond or soy milk
    • 1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
    • 260 g (1 1/4 cups) caster (superfine) sugar
    • 150 ml (scant 2/3 cup) sunflower oil
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 230 g (scant 2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
    • 80 g (2/3 cup) cocoa powder (Dutch processed)
    • 3/4 tsp baking powder
    • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
    • 1/4 tsp salt

Instructions

1. Start by making the ganache; place the chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Heat the coconut milk until it is just boiling then pour it over the chocolate.
    2. Set aside for 2 minutes then stir until smooth and the chocolate is completely melted. Cover and place in the fridge for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, while you make the cake.
    3. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease three 15cm/6inch round tins and line the bases with baking parchment (or use two 20cm/8inch tins instead).
    4. Whisk together the almond/soy milk and vinegar in a large jug; the milk should curdle slightly. Whisk in the sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
    5. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
    6. Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until smooth; be careful not to over-mix. Divide the batter evenly between the tins and bake for about 30 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
    7. Leave the cakes to cool in their tins for 30 minutes then carefully turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely (they are delicate so be gentle). If you are making them a day in advance, wrap in clingfilm once cool.
    8. To assemble the cake, place one of the layers on a serving plate/cake stand. The ganache should be thick but spreadable, if it is too runny still then return it to the fridge until it is firm, or pop it in the freezer for a bit to speed up the process. If it is too thick then gently warm it over a pan of hot water until it has softened.
    9. Spread a third of the ganche over the first cake layer and place another cake on top, spread over another third of the ganache and repeat. Decorate as you see fit - with fresh berries, vegan chocolates, candied nuts etc.
    10. Store in an airtight container at room temperature unless it is very warm, in which case keep the cake in the fridge; allow to come up to room temperature to serve.

Recipe Notes

Because there is no sweetener added to the ganache, make sure that the chocolate that you use isn't too dark and bitter, otherwise the ganache will be inedible. Go for around 40% cocoa solids if you prefer a sweeter, less intense flavour; and 70% if you want a richer, less sweet ganache.

You can also use half dark and half (dairy free) milk chocolate for a less rich flavour; which I particularly recommend if you are going to be serving this cake to children.

• frogmorton

Oh my Kath that cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks fabulous. Proper face-plant cake!!

It wouldn't look like that if I made it though i am certain😕

The pizza though I am definitely going to try that I reckon people would love it 😛

• Kitty

Aidan's Recipe

Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Mash

SERVES: 4

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil

1 large onion, halved and sliced

2 large carrots (500g/1lb 2 oz in total), cut into sugar cube size pieces

1 tbsp thyme, chopped

400g (14oz) can of chopped tomatoes

1 vegetable stock cube

410g (14.4oz) can of green lentils

950g (33.5oz) of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

20g margarine

80g (3oz) of low fat mature cheddar, grated

Recipe Summary

In a cold winter’s night there is no reason not to love a shepherd’s pie. The recipe is meat free so our vegetarian members can follow. This version is stuffed with deliciously seasoned lentils and veggies, and topped with a gorgeous, vitamin-packed sweet potato mash. In my opinion it’s even more delicious as the original! If you live alone, I would suggest to cook in bulk and freeze the rest for later use.

Method:

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the sliced onion until golden. Add the carrots and sprinkling the chopped thyme. Pour in 150ml of water and the tomatoes, then sprinkle in the stock cubes and simmer for 10 minutes. Tip in the can of lentils, including the juice. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes until the carrots still have a bit of bite and the lentils are pulpy.

Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes until tender. Drain well then mash with margarine and season to taste. Pile the lentil mixture into a pie dish, spoon the mash on top and sprinkle over the cheese and remaining thyme.

Heat oven to gas mark 5 (190ºC, electric or 170ºC, fan assisted). Cook for 20 mins until golden and hot all the way through.

RICH FRUIT SCONES

These don’t need clotted cream and preserves – just serve them fresh and warm from the oven with a serious amount of really good butter.

You can now watch how to make scones in our Cookery School Perfect Cakes term - 'Little Cakes' video lesson below

METHOD

First sift the flour into a bowl then add the sugar and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks crumbly.

Now sprinkle in the dried fruit, pour in the beaten egg and add 3 tablespoons of milk. Start to mix to a dough with a knife, then bring the mixture together using your hands – it should be a soft but not a sticky dough, so add more milk (a teaspoon at a time) if the dough seems too dry. Form the dough into a ball and turn it out onto a lightly floured working surface.

Now, with a floured rolling pin, roll it out very lightly to a thickness of about 3cm. (This thickness is vital. The reason scones don’t rise enough is because they are rolled too thin.) Then take the pastry cutter and tap it sharply so that it goes straight through the dough – do not twist or the scones will turn out a strange shape!

When you have cut as many as you can, knead the remaining dough together again and repeat. Then place the scones on the baking sheet, dust each one with flour and bake near the top of the oven for 12–15 minutes. When they’re done they will have risen and turned a golden brown. Remove them to a cooling tray and serve very fresh, split and spread with butter.

INGREDIENTS

225g self-raising flour

40g golden caster sugar

75g spreadable butter

50g mixed dried fruit

1 large egg, beaten

about 3-4 tablespoons milk to mix

a little extra flour

ADDITIONAL

Pre-heat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7

• frogmorton

Ah Aidan's recipe thanks Kath🙂

It looks lovely and crispy. I will have me some of that. Just what we need on nights like we are starting to have. Fire lit and a hot meal like that.

I can veganise the scones too 😍

• Kitty

Daily Recipe (Soup, cheese dish and meat dish which can be veganised. Then pudding, all war time fare).

Wartime Pumpkin Soup

ALWAYS make pumpkin soup with the smaller, non carving variety! I had stocked up on some honey crisp apples (for pies) and some sugar pie pumpkins and butternut squash for soups from www.indiangardenfarms.net

The pumpkin soup I made today nearly stopped me following through with our thanksgiving meal it was so delicious..

Wartime Pumpkin Soup

• 2lbs pumpkin
    • 1 onion
    • 1 oz margarine
    • salt and pepper
    • milk
    • 1 litre of vegetable stock

Method

Cut open pumpkin and scoop out seeds and stringy insides

Slice and chop into medium/large chunks

Place on baking tray and dot butter or marg over the top (if you had garlic in your cupboard you can add 1 or 2 whole cloves to roast on tray too)

Roast for 45 minutes or so, turning over once or twice (oven moderate/hot about 22o c )

Meanwhile chop onion, place 1 oz margarine into large saucepan and cook onions gently until soft

When pumpkin has roasted remove skin and place pumpkin pieces into saucepan (and cloves of garlic if available)

Add vegetable stock

Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally

Place all the contents of saucepan into a liquidizer (or rub through a sieve like they did in the old days!) and pulse until a thick puree is achieved

Put puree back into saucepan, add lots of salt and pepper to taste and reheat adding milk to achieve desired consistancy

(if you are wanting to store soup then put it into containers straight from the liquidizer. Just add seasoning and milk when you come to use it)

Makes about 8 bowls

Potato and Cheese Bake

While I struggle to get to grips with my sweet tooth and portion size following the Christmas, New Year, marriage separation anniversary and 4 birthdays cakes BLIP (so I actually have some weight-loss results to post on the blog) here is a tasty and simple recipe.

This no-fail recipe is bound to have the family kissing your feet (even if they are stinky) and pledging a life of devotion to your 1940’s cooking if you’ll “just-cook-some-more-of-that-again”.. It’s like some sort of cat nip for kids (they need it, they want it, they have to possess it…) except it calms and satisfies them and stops them demanding potato chips for at least 3 hours. This HAS to be a good thing.

It’s like some sort of cat-nip for kids…

This particular recipe is something I have just put together and is not out of any particular cook book however it does use my rations fairly wisely as well as lots of potato- the Ministry of Food would be so proud of me..

Potato and Cheese Bake

• 3 large peeled potatoes per person (peelings can be used in a stew)
    • generous portion of butter or margarine (if rations allow)
    • 4 oz of strong cheese (use less if you are running low)
    • generous amounts of dried or fresh herbs (common herbs at the time would have been rosemary and thyme)
    • a little milk
    • salt and pepper.
    • Note: I used 12 large potatoes to serve 4 generously using a 10 x 8 inch pan for baking.

Method.

1. Peel potatoes and wash.
    2. Cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
    3. Place into salted cold water and bring to boil on stove, simmering until chunks are tender.
    4. Drain well and return to saucepan.
    5. Add in a large blob of butter (the bigger the better if rations allow).
    6. Move around until melted.
    7. Thoroughly mash until smooth.
    8. Taste potatoes adding plenty of salt and pepper until you get the required taste.
    9. Add a little milk and mix with wooden spoon until you get the required consistency.
    10. Add into baking pan and spread out evenly.
    11. Rough top with a fork.
    12. Grate 4 oz of strong/sharp cheese.
    13. Sprinkle evenly over the top.
    14. Finally sprinkle generous quantities of herbs, lots of thyme and a little rosemary work well together. Don’t skimp!
    15. Place in pre-heated oven at 200 C for 25 minutes and finish off under a hot grill/broiler for 5 so the top browns.
    16. Remove, let stand for 5 minutes or so and then serve. Goes well with meat, veg and gravy.

Serves 4 generously!

Beef or Whale Meat Hamburgers 94/100

McDonalds started selling fast food hamburgers in the US, starting in the 1940’s, and during the latter part of the war, Marguerite Patten was demonstrating, in Harrods, how to make them, ration book style.

Whale meat was readily available and not rationed, but not very popular, and was sometimes used to make hamburgers on the home front, either mixed in with minced beef or on its own.

Here is a recipe for wartime hamburgers. I’m not about to eat beef or whale meat (being vegan) so I made my burgers with a meatless mince, but I’ve made hamburgers this way before, with beef (before I was vegan) and they taste really good!

Serve with a large raw salad!

This recipe makes enough for 4

Beef or Whale Meat Hamburgers

• 1 large potato finely grated
    • 1 medium onion very finely shopped
    • 12 oz (350 g) minced whale meat or beef (or a meatless mince works well with a teaspoon of margarine)
    • 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce (mix a teaspoon of marmite with some brown sauce for vegans/vegetarians)
    • couple of large pinches of dried herbs (or 4 teaspoons of fresh thyme finely chopped- or fresh chopped parsley)
    • salt and pepper

Method

1. Mix all the ingredients together and form into 4 round cakes
    2. Grill (15 minutes) or bake (30 minutes) on a greased tray in a pre-heated oven set to 190 C (375 F)
    3. When fat is available the hamburgers can be fried

Apple and Rhubarb Crumble

Filling:

1 lb rhubarb

1 lb tasty apples

2 tablespoons of golden syrup or 2 oz sugar

Topping:

7 oz plain flour

3 oz oats

3 oz margarine or butter

3 oz sugar for topping

1 oz of light brown sugar to sprinkle on top

pinch of salt

Method:

Wipe the rhubarb and cut into small pieces. Simmer in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of water for about 10 minutes until cooked.

Slice the apples into small pieces. Simmer in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of water for about 5 minutes until cooked.

Mix rhubarb and apple together when cooked and mix in the golden syrup or sugar.

Grease a pie tin and spoon in the mixture.

Place plain flour, pinch of salt, 3 oz sugar and 3 oz of butter or margarine (in small pieces) into a bowl together.

Rub between fingers to create a breadcrumb like mixture and spoon over the top of the stewed fruit thickly.

Sprinkle with the brown sugar.

Place in an oven at around 170 C for 20 minutes until golden brown.

Serves 6.

Serve with custard.

• frogmorton

Thanks Kath the soup looks lovely and I know exactly what to do with the potato and cheese pie to veganise it!

This 'wartime' stuff is so interesting - shows we can learn a lot from what other before us have done doesn't it?

• Kitty

Daily Recipe

Toni, thank you for all the runny eggs you have been giving me. 🐔🐣

VEGAN FEAST

This is a simple vegan recipe, using minimal salt and oil but plenty of wholefoods packed with nutrients. The recipe uses a mixture of different easily-prepared foods, which when combined make a wholesome feast.

INGREDIENTS

Serves 2

• 2 sweet potatoes
    • 1 lemon
    • 1 head of broccoli
    • Handful of green beans
    • Handful of baby corn
    • 400g tin of red kidney beans
    • 2 red onions
    • 5 garlic cloves
    • 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 170g baby spinach
    • 3 peppers
    • ½ aubergine
    • 150g quinoa
    • Handful of beansprouts
    • Pinch of salt (for boiling water)
    • Balsamic vinegar
    • 3 radishes
    • Pomegranate seeds
    • Tahini (optional)
    • Chilli flakes (optional)
    • Fresh herbs (optional)

METHOD

Scrub and wash sweet potatoes and place directly on the oven shelf in a pre-heated. No oil or salt needed, these can be added after if preferred.

Dice peppers, onion and aubergine into large chunks and finely slice garlic. Place all into a roasting dish with seasoning and herbs of your choice. Cook for 25-30 minutes at 160°C.

Chop and boil or spinach, broccoli, green beans and corn for 5 minutes or until tender. Once drained, sprinkle with seeds, a drop or two of freshly squeezed lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Chop spinach and wilt in a little butter for 5-10 minutes.

Add quinoa to boiling, lightly salted water. Let simmer for 25 minutes. Remove and drain.

Cook beansprouts in boiled water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain.

Once everything has been cooked, add food to a bowl and garnish with radish slices, pomegranate seeds and tahini.

FOR THE BEAN CHILLI SIN CARNE

Chop garlic and onion; lightly sauté them in oil on a medium heat until translucent, add

chopped tomatoes, red kidney beans, herbs of your preference along with a pinch of dried chilli flakes. Let it simmer for 25-30 minutes until liquid has reduced slightly.

Choose one of our range cookers so you have plenty of shelf space for dishes, and for pans on the five-burner hob.

• Kitty

Daily Recipe (Definitely non vegan)

Sizzling prawn fajitas

Category: Main meal, Starter/snack | Serves: 2

Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp rapeseed oil

225g (8oz) large raw peeled prawns

2 tsp hot chilli powder

4 spring onions, chopped

1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced

1 courgette, cut into short batons

227g (8oz) can chopped tomatoes in rich natural juice

2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

4 soft flour tortillas (each about 20cm/8in in diameter), to serve

6 tsp half-fat crème fraîche or low-fat natural Greek-style yoghurt, to serve (optional, omit if following dairy-free diet)

Method

1. Heat rapeseed oil in a non-stick saucepan or frying pan; add prawns and stir-fry over a medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add chilli powder; stir-fry for a further 30–60 seconds. Remove prawns from pan and set aside on a plate.
    2. Add spring onions, red pepper and courgette to pan; stir-fry over a medium-high heat for 3–4 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and prawns to pan; bubble over a medium heat for 4–5 minutes or until prawns are fully cooked and hot, stirring regularly. Stir in coriander.
    3. Meanwhile, warm tortillas according to packet instructions. Serve prawn mixture rolled up inside warm tortillas with a small dollop of crème fraîche or yoghurt alongside, if you like. Serve 2 fajitas per portion.

Cook's tips

• Use skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, cut into thin strips, in place of the prawns. Make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked before serving.
    • Top prawn mixture with thin slices of avocado just before rolling up the tortillas, if you like.
    • Serve with mixed baby salad leaves or rocket.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Love all the recipes posted here. 😃

We now have a thread where you can post your tips for cooking and preparing food in the kitchen where we hope to get the best ideas all in one place:

It also includes a link to a short video over on Instagram for those who are interested.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• frogmorton

Thanks Brynmor.

Will take a look.

• Kitty

Daily recipe

Curried Carrots

When I saw the word CURRY leap out at me from a small book I was reading called ‘Ration Book Cookery’ I got all excited…

It did indeed taste like carrots, onions and curry powder mix BUT hey I was hungry so I ate it and even had seconds.

I am, after-all, living in the 1940’s…… (at meal times anyway)

Curried Carrots

• 1 lb carrots
    • 1 oz margarine or dripping
    • 1 chopped onion
    • 1-2 teaspoons curry powder
    • 1 tablespoon flour
    • 1/2 pt stock or water
    • salt and pepper
    • teaspoon marmite and a teaspoon sugar (optional)

Chop and boil/steam carrots

Meanwhile melt fat in pan and add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes

Add the curry powder and flour and fry for a few more minutes while stirring a little

Stir in the stock or water, bring to the boil, season.

Simmer gently for about 20 minutes then add in the cooked carrots

Cook for a further 10 minutes or so

Garnish with parsley and serve with a little rice

Spam Hash

Spam Hash Ingredients (for 1 person)

• 2 largish potatoes
    • 1/2 onion
    • 1/4 can of spam
    • blob butter/margarine

Method

Wash potatoes

Cut into quarters and boil until firmly cooked, remove from water and cool

Chop onion

Chop up 1/4 can spam into chunks

Take large fying pan add in large blob of butter and heat

Add in onions and cook gently until nice and translucent

Take potatoes and chop them into smaller chunks

Add these and the spam chunks into the pan with the onions and continue to fry and stir

Turn down frying pan and cover if possible and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes. At this stage you can add in some chopped tomato if you like. If the mixture is sticking too much add in a little bit of water and stir

Once cooked served with your favourite veggies!

Serves 1

Cheese and Potato Dumplings

Here is a fabby recipe that I use quite frequently. You can add herbs and spices to your own taste. I also find these dumplings, once refrigerated, can even be used to take in to work for a midday snack in your lunch box as they firm up quite nicely!

Cheese and Potato Dumplings

• 2 lbs of potatoes peeled (set aside the peel to bake in the oven for another delicious snack)
    • 2 reconstituted dried eggs (or 2 fresh)
    • 3 to 4 oz strong grated cheese
    • salt and pepper
    • dried herbs such as thyme (optional)

Method

Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water

Set aside to drain in colander for 10 minutes

Mash potatoes, return to saucepan over low heat, add seasoning and herbs, mix well

Add eggs and half the cheese, mix well again and stir until potatoes firm up.

Once cooled a little form into 10 balls and roll in the remaining grated cheese

Place on greased baking tray and bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes or so until browned and crusty

https://the1940sexperiment.com/100-wartime-recipes/

• frogmorton

I think I know how to 'vaganize the cheese balls Kath.....I was thinking egg replacer of course and also rolling in breadcrumbs before baking?

as for the carrot curry.... anyday!

• Kitty

Daily Recipe (we're having a Welsh day today).

VEGAN WELSH ****

Ingredients

(makes about 12 x 60g balls)

125g leeks, halved lengthways and thinly sliced

125g field mushroom, finely chopped

250g swede, diced

250g carrot, diced

75g dried green lentils

175g bread

20g sunflower seeds

10g pumpkin seeds

1 small red chillies

2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped

1tsp allspice

0.5 tsp ground mace

salt

freshly ground black pepper

veg oil for frying

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 180C.

Peel and dice the swede and carrots. Place them on a baking tray and drizzle over some veg oil. Stir them to coat evenly. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the carrot and swede are soft.

Meanwhile cook the dried green lentils by putting them in a pan of boiling water and cook for 20 minutes until they begin to soften.

Make the breadcrumbs by blitzing pieces of bread in a food processor. Add the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and pulse them a few times to break them down into smaller pieces. Don’t over process them as they are there to add some texture.

In a large frying pan bring some veg oil up to a medium heat before adding the mace, allspice and red chillies. Fry for a minute then add the leeks. Cook for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Add the mushroom and continue to fry for another 5 minutes. Once cooked remove from the heat and set aside.

Remove the swede and carrot from the oven, also set them aside to cool a little. Bring all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix them together well with a wooden spoon to form a thick sticky paste.

Spoon 60g of the mixture into the palm of your hand and form a ball. Place on a greaseproof paper. There should be enough to make a dozen.

Bring a deep fat fryer to 180C and carefully drop in the **** for a minute or two until to colour and form a bit of a crust. (Alternatively, you could shallow fry in large frying pan, gently rolling them to get them evenly coloured.)

Keep the oven on 180C.

Put a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray, then place the **** on the tray. Pop them in the oven, uncovered for 40 minutes, turning them once half way through.

Serve warm with onion gravy, mashed potatoes and mushy peas.

Wartime Welsh Cakes

The Welsh Cakes taste even better the day after where the flavour of the nutmeg comes through.

Wartime Welsh Cakes

• 6 oz plain flour with 3 teaspoons baking powder added (or use self raising flour)
    • 2 oz margarine, butter or dripping
    • 2 oz sultanas (or mixed dried fruit)
    • 1 small carrot grated
    • 2 oz sugar
    • 1 fresh egg or 1 dried reconstituted egg
    • 1 tablespoon milk
    • 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg

Method

1. Rub fat into the flour and baking powder mix until resembles bread crumbs
    2. Stir in nutmeg, sugar and dried fruit
    3. Mix the egg and milk together and add to dry mix to form a stiff dough (add more liquid or more flour as needed)
    4. Treat mixture as pastry and roll out on floured surface to 1/4 inch thick
    5. Use 3 inch rounds to cut out
    6. Pre-heat griddle or heavy frying pan
    7. Grease
    8. Put in Welsh Cakes and cook until golden brown on both sides over a moderate heat (about 4 minutes)
    9. Set aside a cool
    10. Sprinkle with a little sugar
    11. Serve with butter/jam and a nice cuppa strong tea!

Makes about 12-18

• frogmorton

Love the meatballs Kath they look YUM!!! Sure i can veganise the welsh-cakes. Oddly enough I did Welsh rarebit for breakfast in Val's café this morning!