Trapeziectomy

Options

Hi all, I have just had my second trapeziectomy. I had my right thumb done 4 years ago and left thumb done 5 days ago.

I had forgotten just how painful it was. It just reduces me to tears although I thibk each day there is less pain.

Still waiting for the hospital to call with my first appointment at the hand clinic. Can anyone tell me how long the cast is on for as I just cannot remember. I still have my brace from the right hand and dread going into that as it's so painful to move.

I've been signed off work for 6 weeks which was a shock as before it was 2 but I needed a 3rd.

I just can't believe how painful it is. Are there any other sufferers out there who can tell me what they are going through?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Oh @Debs31765

You poor thing! I am so sorry you are suffering so much. I hope things heal up quickly for you.

Take a quick look at this thread:

It's go loads of information about trapeziectomy. and do keep popping by we are a very supportive group and will do our best to help you through ((()))

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Debs31765 welcome to the Online Community

I see that @frogmorton has already posted a link to the very useful thread from January by members who have had a trapeziectomy. Just to add some of the links from there:

Our page on hand & wrist surgery has a section on trapeziectomy under "Common types of hand surgery" plus some other useful information:

Here is also a link to our Trapeziectomy factsheet that you can download.

As to the splint for your thumb, it looks as though the regular length of time to wear this is 6 weeks. Obviously the pain will ease and it does sound as though you need to be very gentle and kind to yourself in the meantime.

Do let us know how you get on and do ask questions, give advice or call in for a chat to say how the day has been.

All best wishes

Brynmor