Advice on going to the doctors during COVID

Options

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, i'm 24 years old and I have what I believe are the early stages of arthritis in both my knees. The women on my mothers side have all had arthritis so it's been passed down to me. My mum had both knees replaced in her 40s.

My knees have always been a bit crunchy and painful at times, but lately I think they've got worse so i'd like to get the ball rolling with my GP about assessing my knees ad keeping tabs on how they are. I'm just feeling a bit anxious that, especially during COVID, i'm going to get fobbed off by the GP telling me that it's not bad enough yet or that I just need to lose some weight. I'm a curvy girl I admit, but I exercise regularly and have a pescatarian diet so it can't all be down to weight. I take blood pressure medication for my primary hypertension and doctors love brining up my weight during those check ups. I have been taking glucosamine supplements but it's not enough anymore, they hurt come the evening and feel like they aren't supporting me during my exercise and everyday activities as well as they used to. Does anyone have any advice or encouraging words on how to proceed? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 750
    Options

Welcome @CarysF

to the online community, you have concerns about your knees and want to be taken seriously when you visit your G.P. Since it likely to be a hereditary condition from what you say about your mother's side of the family you seem to be quite aware of the journey with arthritis that many of us in the community are experiencing .

I am attaching numbers of links that you might find helpful, one of which is to the helpline 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9.00 am - 8.00 pm.

Another is to our Virtual Assistant COVA

https://www.versusarthritis.org/search?query=COVA+%E2%80%93+the+COVID-19+Virtual+Assistant.

I know that many of our members find hot pads or seed bags warmed in the microwave a source of relief at the end of a busy day or exercise session. I am sure that they will be happy to share their experiences with you. Meanwhile the Young Peoples Community on the website caters for those under 25 and you may like to connect with young adults through that forum.

We hope that when you feel ready to talk with your GP that you will feel confident with the support and information from the V A community . Please let us know how you get on and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.