Advice needed, feeling very low

Hi there, I am new here and my name is Ashley. I'm 36 years old. I was diagnosed last year with a labral tear in my hip and was told I had osteoarthritis. Its got so bad all over my body that I can barely walk. The pain in my feet and shins are unbearable. Even when sitting im in pain everywhere. Now my hands have developed carpal tunnel and my joints in my fingers are swollen and deformed. I haven't slept for over a week, I'm.on maximum dose of painkillers and I just don't know what else to do. I feel I can't go on like this I'm so young and feel I'm going to be bed ridden soon. Work is impossible and I don't know if I can continue working. Gps are too busy to see me as don't see it as an emergency so I don't know where else to turn

Many thanks

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522

Greetings @Ashleymacf and welcome to the Forum.

You describe to onset of OA and the intense pain and helplessness that you feel.

Here are some links to articles on the site which might help. You could also try contacting the help line.

I whish you luck, take care and keep in touch.

• Thank you

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi Ashley, I’m so sorry to hear you are struggling with so much pain. That does sound miserable for you, and I can see why it’s got you so low. All this isn’t helped by the NHS going into meltdown right now. Have you been referred to a pain clinic? It would worth contacting your GP for this, and they may be able to do it with just a telephone consultation. The pain clinic can give you support and strategies to help you manage your pain.

I would also really recommend you ring the Versus Arthritis helpline, sometimes you need someone who understands to talk to about where you are in your struggle.

Do have a look at the exercises on this site, designed for specific conditions. Some may not work for you or be too much, but just do what little you can and build it up very slowly. It’s important to keep your body mobile to help manage arthritis, and many people say this really reduces their symptoms.

Distraction is also a helpful way to get through the day, lose yourself in something that absorbs you mentally, be it something gently active, or just watching a really good box set. It helps you take your mind off the pain, and if it’s something gently active, it can even count as your daily exercise 🙂

Hope this helps, sending you a virtual hug ((()))

• Thank you, yes I had a telephone consultation with the pain clinic through lockdown they said they would contact me back in September for a review but its been put back until the end of November they said because of covid. I've told them I want to start their course of learning to manage pain. I called and left a message yesterday so hopefully someone calls me back. X

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

It’s so cruel that people are expected to continue dealing with pain like this for months at a time while the NHS copes with the consequences of people not caring about the effects of the virus. I hope you can get an appointment soon and that it will really help you.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Ashbash123

Sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment .

Years ago I did a course with Arthritis Care (now part of Versus Arthritis) called ' managing your Long-term Condition'. I think they are now called self management courses see below:

and you could look at what is going on in your area?

Lovely to meet you anyway and take care

• Achy_g
    Achy_g Member Posts: 6

Hi @Ashbash123

I'm new here myself, so I don't know if it's appropriate to share my experience, but I will, in case you find it of any use.

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with your pain. I also found myself effectively unsupported by the system for several years, so I understand how helpless it can make you feel.

I've never been able to access a pain clinic referral, so I looked up online all the strategies they recommend. The other thing I found online was resources and course outlines for cognitive behavioural therapy, which I followed over a period of weeks. These were really helpful for developing a wider range of responses to my pain and activity, and have helped me to stay active - which in turn reduces some of the stiffness and pain.

I imagine the above are covered in the Versus Arthritis resources, but if not, they do come up on a Google search. I do hope you find some strategies that help - just finding some relief can make a world of difference to how you feel. 🤗