Change methotrexate day?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can answer this question for me please? I currently take methotrexate on a Friday - I've been lucky so far regarding side effects and I just feel a little nauseous and tired. I don't want to feel like this as I try to make the most of my weekend so I was hoping to change my day. Any advice on how I should do this?

Best wishes to everyone as we start lockdown again!!

Thanks!

Emma.

Comments

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    edited 14. Nov 2020, 17:46

Hi @Emma126

I think that's a great idea, first of all work our your preferred day. Then it's best to ring your rheumy nurse if you have one or your rheumy department if not. They will help you to organise your shift in day. It depends a bit on how many days different. But 'just do it' as I can see your weekends are important to you and why not?

Wazz x

• Emma126
    Emma126 Member Posts: 15

Hi Wazz,

Thanks very much for the advice!

I read in the booklet about methotrexate that it's ok to be up to two days late so I took it on Sunday this week and then next week or maybe the week after I will be 2 days late again in order to move my day to Tuesday. (I only work a half day on Wednesday so that makes sense.)

We have an advice line where you ring up and they ring you back. Unfortunately I've not found the nurses very helpful - They don't always get back to you and when they do it's always someone different and they tend to give you the impression that you're wasting their time so I didn't ring for advice! I have a scheduled phone appointment coming up so I'll discuss it with the nurse them.

Hope you are fine - Do you also take methotrexate? Has it been helpful for you?

Emma

x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 14. Nov 2020, 17:46

Hi @Emma126

Emma you must live by me because our rheumatology helpline is filled with nurses who make me feel like they have more important people than little me to deal with 🙄

I think your plan should work out for you it's horrible feeling yuk all weekend. Have you tried (when you next see rheumatologist!) asking to look at your folic acid a lot find folic acid can help with nausea. I am a great fan of savoury starchy foods....not that healthy though😁

• Emma126

Hi Toni,

Thanks for your comment! Are we allowed to say where we live? (By the way I've been told my username is too 'obvious'! I don't actually remember choosing it - of course I'd never have just put my name! Do you know how I can change it?) I've been quite upset by the attitude of a nurse I've spoken to twice on my 'helpline'. For example - when I asked her if she thought that an increase of 5mg to my methotrexate dose would make a difference to my experience of side effects she replied "Well I haven't got a crystal ball!'

I will ask about increasing my folic acid. I currently take 5mg once a week. Thanks for your advise.

Emma xx

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Emma126 I have changed your username as requested and edited the posts above to reflect your new username 😃

• Emma126

Thanks very much!

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi Emma,

Clever you working out a way to get the MTX to work for you. I hope the side effects are lessening a bit for you now. I'm not on MTX but have experience of a number of different drugs in my arthritis journey.

I hope lockdown is not too troublesome, living in Wales I've finished with that for a bit, it looks like it has made a difference in cases for England as well as Wales, it's tricky when it takes a few weeks to see the results of the lockdown and hard for people to keep up with it. Mind you I am being very cautious, I'd rather not catch it and see how I get on - much better to take care I feel.

xx