Recumbent (non weight bearing) Exercise Bike?

N1gel
N1gel Member Posts: 160
edited 1. Oct 2020, 14:47 in Living with arthritis

I never knew such things existed until today, just like a traditional exercise bike but you sit in a conventional seat with armrests (I'm not talking about these little pedals on a stand). Has anyone had experience of them?

I used to ride a recumbent trike which was great fun but a total faff to put in the car (you wouldn't want to ride it on the roads round here).

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I know someone who lost a leg above the knee, and he gets on well with his recumbent bike. My hips don't allow that range of movement so no good for me, but my physio did suggest it at one time, so it would be worth looking into it.

• N1gel

Well, I got the recumbent exercise bike on Saturday, did a mile yesterday, two miles today - brilliant.

Too early to notice any physical benefits but am enjoying the feeling of being able to do some positive exercise in Lockdown.

I went for a semi recumbent, which means I sit more or less upright (can step in and out of it) but can use the backrest if I need to. Handlebars down by the seat so I'm not stressing my hands or elbows. It has an adjustable magnetic flywheel which gives very firm smooth resistance, just like I remember riding a real bike.

Best of all is that feeling of physical tiredness after working out. Not cheap tho' - a months PIP!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @N1gel

That sounds excellent use of a month's PIP. It is there to help you and help you this bike is🙂

I am really pleased for you - how good does it feel to be back in control a bit?! This is when you start to get a bit more 'on top' of arthritis I find....when you find things you can do rather than all the things you can't.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Looking forward to a series of posts regarding your adventures on a recumbent bike 😃

• N1gel

Well, I was motivated to clean the spare room windows next to it so I've got a view over the hills to the west then set up a radio on the windowsill 😀

This morning I managed 3X the distance I did on Monday! and I forgot all about the endorphins (nature's 'opiates'?) was hungry at lunchtime and feel pleasantly tired now.🚴‍♀️

• N1gel

Exercise bike update.

Had to have the computer replaced as it was going through a set of batteries a week and not giving a pulse reading. However, an email to the German supplier describing the problem had a new computer delivered in days (and 2 little bags of sweets!).

I've done 65 miles so far in January and certainly feeling the benefits (I have an ahem 'six pack' again, and need to do my belt up a notch). The endorphins are fantastic for busting stress and blues especially in lockdown.

I'm a bit scared about using the pulse monitor tho' (it reckoned I was up to 200 this morning!)