Newly diagnosed Rheumatoid arthritis

ellekatewilsonx
ellekatewilsonx Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone!

I am recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis! I have been suffering with pain, swelling and stiffness of my fingers in both hands, my right wrist and my feet on and off for about a year now! I was referred to a rheumatologist and given the diagnosis! I was immediately given an injection due to my severity of pain and lack of function in my right hand and wrist!

I am now on Hydroxychloroquine and about to start Methotrexate after I have a breathing test done! Feeling a bit nervous about taking it due to the side effects.

I am only 25 years old so can’t really relate to anyone in my family or friends! If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated as I feel quite alone!

thanks again!

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @ellekatewilsonx and welcome to the online community!

So you’ve just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis after a year of pain and swelling, you’re on hydroxychloroquine and are about to start on methotrexate. That’s quite a lot for you to take in but I can imagine you must feel a certain relief to finally get a diagnosis. I was diagnosed with RA at 19 ( a long time ago - I’ve now got two daughters in their 20’s!) and I started on hydroxychloroquine ten years ago. It’s been brilliant for me and I’ve never needed to change meds but I have friends who are also doing great on methotrexate. I think it may take a few weeks before you start to feel the benefits - you can read more about the drug on the links below as well as some of the side effects:

There are many members , young and older, in the online community who know what you’re going through, and many who are on methotrexate and can tell you of their experiences.

Good luck and do keep in touch with any concerns or questions, or just for a chat!

Anna : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @ellekatewilsonx

Good to meet you and welcome you to the forum.

No need to feel alone here this thread was started by another young person in a similar position to you I think she's 22:

Might be worth a chat with her she seems to be a tiny step ahead of you.

Take care