New diagnosis

Kate400
Kate400 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I've been having issues with my back for years but recently my hips more.

Now I have suspect bursitis in my hips but Xray has shown osteoarthritis in my lower and mid spine.

It's a bit of a shock to me as I'm only 40 and just don't know what I am feeling at the moment.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @Kate400 and welcome to the online community,

I can imagine it’s quite a shock at 40 to hear a diagnosis of suspect bursitis in your hips and osteoarthritis in your lower and mid spine. It’s not something anyone wants to hear, but at least you know that the issues you’ve been having with your back all these years have actually got a diagnosis and now you can begin to deal with it, working with your GP or consultant. You’ve certainly come to the right place for support - all our members have experienced arthritis in some way and will be able to help you come to terms with it or just offer a virtual listening ear if you need to talk.

The Versus Arthritis website is very useful and informative too if you want to read more about your condition.

I’ll hand over to members now, but before I do, you might be interested in the following webpage which gives a general overview of osteoarthritis of the spine and also discusses possible medications and ideas for self help.

Feel free to have a look round the forum and join in any discussions that interest you.

All the best and do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Kate400

I bet you are shocked. If it helps at all I had back issues for decades before it finally gave up permanently and i had surgery at 39.

Funnily enough lots of people get pain in their backs for hips and pain in their hips for their back! Odd that. At least your Dr has sussed it. Now what is the plan for you? Are you going to have some physio?

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Kate400 , it does knock you sideways doesn't it. But sometimes it's better knowing what it is so you can start dealing with it - back pain can be caused by so many things. I was only diagnosed at the beginning of lockdown, which was probably a bit of a blessing as it gave me space to get my head round it and find out what I could still do, but with the NHS on hold, it meant I couldn't progress anything to get me back on my feet again. That's slowly happening now, but it's been a tough journey.

What treatment plan has your doctor suggested?