Arthritis of the hip.

Hi Folks

Pain in left buttock

Don't know if anyone can help me....I have had 3 meniscus tear ops...which has left me with painful arthritis in both knees...however...for the last few weeks I have had very bad pain in my left buttock...could this be arthritis in my hip? ( or somewhere?)...my father had to have a hip replacement.

My problem is my GP seems to think it is cancer of lower GI (I had cancer of uterus op. in April & she's thinking it could have spread) and I am being fast tracked for cancer tests on by bowel on 19th of the month.....I don't think it is cancer as I haven't lost weight & have no bleeding.

The pain is dreadful after I have been stationary for a while...is this how arthritis of the hip is? Pleaseese help if you can!! I have had to put a frame by my bed for when I have to get out of bed...and when I have been sitting on a chair for a while the pain is bad getting up...but....after I have walked for a while the pain goes.

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @Polyanna

Your symptoms may be related to your hip, here is our information

Even so it is very important to check out for what may be a slight risk of cancer. Hip OA can vary greatly, let’s get any worse option checked and while waiting you can take action, like doing the exercises suggested above to help any possible hip joint be the best it can be.

There isn’t usually any genetic link with a joint affected by OA just to reassure you there, it may even be linked to your knees if your gait has altered as they have become more painful.

keep posted, please let me know how you get on

take care

Yvonne x

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Polyanna , I’m sorry to hear about all that you’ve been going through. You should definitely follow your GP’s advice and go for your further tests, but I hope they come back negative for you,

I don’t know what the symptoms would be for what your GO suspects, so it’s hard to say whether what you’re experiencing is OA or something else. But yes, I have OA in my hip and it’s very painful when I stand up if I’ve been sitting for a while, but eases once I start moving.

Treating OA wouldn’t be considered urgent, so deal with / rule out the more worrying things first, and then see what you’re left with, and maybe check out the OA once you!re back on an even keel.