I would like to say hello

Skylabreeze
Skylabreeze Member Posts: 8
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

I would like to say hello, I am Diane and live in damp Essex.

I am new to this forum and recently been diagnosed with inflammatory Arthritis with PMR grade 2.

I am about to start medication. Methotrexate with folate. I am quite frightened about the side effects but cannot cope with the stiffness and pain effecting my whole body.

any advice would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @Skylabreeze - welcome to the online community!

I completely understand being worried about a new diagnosis and medication - it can be scary and unknown. My best advice when dealing with something new is to look into what's what, so you have some understanding of what's going on. I find it a lot less scary once it's not unknown. Versus arthritis has some good information here which could help:

I'd also make sure you stay in contact with your GP, especially if side effects bother you. One of the best things you can do is make sure your GP is made aware with updates how you are reacting to the medication. That way if the side effects become too much your GP already has an idea of how you react. There are other options for medication, so even if the side effects are bad you can always try something else. Don't give up, and do keep talking.

Have a look around the rest of the community, and join in the other discussions if you can.

It's lovely to meet you!

Shell

• Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74

Hi Diane,

I too live in Essex and have been on Methotrexate for four years due to Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I too, before being given Methotrexate for the first time was scared of the side effects and after I was initially diagnosed with RA had to go to Southend Hospital to been in a group meeting where a nurse discussed everything with us.

As stated above I have been on Methotrexate for four years and the only downside is slight nausea after taking them and blood tests every twelve weeks so that the medication can be monitored but apart from that my RA symptoms are a lot better.

Stay safe

Karen 🐶

• Shazza65
    Shazza65 Member Posts: 7

Hi I am Sharon I was diagnosed on 4th jan 2021 with rheumatoid arthritis. I was given sulfasalazine but was really poorly with them. So I've been given booklets on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine and have to choose which one to try and not sure. I am really scared I case the same thing happens with these ones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Dougie
    Dougie Member Posts: 4

Hi to you all my name is sue I am 62 and new on here I have had RA for 15 years and taken methotrexate and hydroxychloroquinine for 10 years needed to do something so I was able to carry on working as I could not cope with pain any longer the first couple of months were horrid feeling sick and unwell all the time then everything started to get better and I was able to work without continual pain I do get flare ups sometimes but ive learned to live with it I take folic acid 6 days a week which is to help stop side effects and a blood test is needed every 3 months to check things are well it has made it possible for me to work for the last 10 years hope all goes well for you all if you go with it as its only you that can decide.sue

• Hi @Dougie,

Welcome to the online community!

Thanks for sharing your experience with medications and side-effects, I’m glad that folic acid is helping to keep them under control and that you have been able to work as a result of your treatment.

Here’s a bit of info about managing pain and flare-ups, although it sounds like you’re a pro:

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Rheumatoid arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

I like to encourage people sign up for ‘Let’s Move with Leon’ – it’s a fun online exercise programme designed to help people with arthritis to ease symptoms by strengthening muscles. Added bonus of helping to pass the time during lockdown!

Do continue to participate in the online community, it’s lovely to have you here 😊

Best wishes,

Sarah (mod) x

• Hi skylabreeze , don’t be too afraid of the medication, you will get a nurse advice number if you need any help , you will need regular blood tests , it really does help 👍🏼

mrsb

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @Mrsbnumber3

Just wanted to say hi and thank you for joining the online community with such a supportive comment! Please do continue to join in whenever you want to, and it would be lovely if you would introduce yourself with a new post on the ‘ Say hello’ forum.

All the best,

Anna ( mod) : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Thanks, please don’t laugh , I don’t know how to do it 🤣😊

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @Mrsbnumber3

Of course we wouldn’t laugh! I still have to think twice before I comment or post because I’m not completely sure of what I’m doing sometimes!

If you want to start a new discussion ( eg to introduce yourself) press on the forum you want to post ( one of the links on the top right hand corner) then start a new discussion by pressing on ‘ new discussion’ on the left hand side. It’s in a yellow box. Then give your post a title and write your post. When you’ve written it, press ‘ post comment’ at the bottom and after a while ( it has to go through moderation so you won’t see it straightaway) your post will be available for everyone to see!

There are detailed instructions on using the forum if you press on ‘your community’ in the box on the top right hand side of the page.

Good Luck!

Anna ( mod) : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm