Introduction

Hayley_xx
Hayley_xx Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis on the 22nd December and still feeling a little overwhelmed if I’m honest!

On one hand I’m relieved to finally have some answers as I’ve been suffering with joint pain and fatigue since 2016 (have been fobbed off by numerous GP’s before finally being referred to a rheumatologist!) but also feeling quite anxious about what this diagnosis means for me in the long term. I’m still in a lot of pain at the moment, and suffering with the fatigue and feeling completely wiped out during a flare up. I’ve been prescribed Naproxen for the time being but will be starting DMARD’s in the near future. I’m only 30 years old and have been struggling for so long now that it’s difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel! However, I am trying to remain positive now that I finally have a diagnosis and am hopefully on the right path 😊

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Hayley_xx welcome to the Online Community.

Getting a diagnosis is always a relief in that you now have some idea of what is the problem and can start to look at ways to help. Psoriatic arthritis is an autoimmune conditions where our immune system becomes confused and attacks healthy parts of the body.

It can happen to anyone, at any age.

There is lots of information about the condition, treatments, managing symptoms and living with psoriatic arthritis. There is a useful page on this on our web site:

You are not alone and have come to the right place to ask for support and help.

Do join in across the Community. Ask questions, give advice and also call in to let us know how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @Hayley_xx

welcome to the forums, I think you might like to chat to @Dollypinks who has also recently been recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Hey !!

I have just recently been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis as well in December !

ive been quiet lucky in the respect of a quick diagnosis I started of the stuff joints in fingers April it did take quiet a few calls but I insisted on being referred because I didn’t like popping pills and not knowing why I was in so much pain if that makes sense I had a telephone consultation then xrays and Mri and then a 2nd consultant just before Xmas when he told me I had PSA .

im due to have steroid injections into the affected joints next Monday not looking forward to that but some pain relief will be nice and I guess he will tell me about medication I need to take !

so sorry it’s taken so long for your diagnosis please rest when you can even on days you feel ok that’s advise someone have me and it’s good to take time out and don’t over do things xx