Exercise advice

MJ50
MJ50 Member Posts: 2

Hi, I am new here but follow Versus Arthritis on facebook.I have Osteoarthritis in my knee. My knee is bone on bone. I need to lose weight before they even consider me for a replacement. I can manage a 30 minute walk with my elderly dog but that's about it. Has anyone with bone on bone managed 10,000 steps a day? Or any other good exercises for weight loss

Many thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591
    edited 5. Jan 2021, 12:11

Hi @MJ50

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to the Versus Arthritis Online Community.

I see you have Osteoarthritis in your knee which is bone-on-bone and ideally you'd like a replacement, but need to lose weight first.

You are in the right category to look at exercises 'Leon's' online sessions are great as they do not only standing, but seated options too of every exercise.

It isn't easy to move when you are in pain, but you are walking daily which is an excellent start.

I'll leave you now to meet our members.

Best wishes

Ellen

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @MJ50 Nice to meet you.

It's tough trying to lose weight when you aren't that mobile, but a few of our members have done it and quite a bit too some of them.

AND managed to sustain it as well.

I've done Leon's program and thoroughly enjoyed it I sometimes sat sometimes stood according to what i felt i could manage.

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85

Like Frogmorton, I really enjoy Leon too, and so does my 90 year old Mum. She’s got severe arthritis of the knee but she’s finding that the exercises are helping to strengthen the muscles in her knee so she’s in less pain when she walks. Good for you for walking each day - if you can build up your muscles round your knee you might find you’ll be able to walk a bit more.

Rina xx

• DODGYKNEES
    DODGYKNEES Member Posts: 90

Hi @MJ50. I too have bone on bone arthritis in my knees. Although walking is excellent exercise, some days I find it just too painful. Another form of exercise which is excellent for bone on bone arthritis is pool exercises, swimming. I personally can't swim. But with the aid of various floats you can perform many different exercises with zero impact to your joints.

Obviously difficult at this time to get to a pool, but when things return to normal it's definitely a good idea to try. Hope this helps 😁