Unsure if I need to shield.

Good Evening,

it is my first time joining/posting on the forum.

I have ankolysing spondylitis and have recently started new treatment. I am currently taking Adalimumab injections every fortnight and wondering if I should be shielding now due to the new guidance announced this evening by the PM.

I was not on this medication when the first lockdown was announced and when individuals were first told to shield.

just wondering if anyone else is on the same medication and could shed some light on it for me. I know I can call my consultant in the morning which I will do but just wondered if I could put my mind at rest this evening.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Good Morning @Lewis91

Welcome to the Online Community. I see you have Ankylosing Spondylitis and have recently been started on Adalimumab.

Your query is whether or not you should be shielding. I am attaching a link for you which will be helpful the section entitled 'Which Treatments Supress my Immune System' lists your medication:

I completely agree with you that you should contact your healthcare team for advice and to ensure you are on the shielding list from now on.

Best wishes

Ellen

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I hope you managed to get the answer yourself from reading our posts @Lewis91

Unfortunately our first posts go into moderation as we used to get spammers posting. Lots of spammers going back.

OUr moderators post every day, but usually in the daytime.

Nice to meet you

• Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74

It might be worth speaking to your GP and also registering to go on the shielding list. Once on the shielding list you get priority slots with supermarkets and you can get help with medicine delivery, etc.

Stay safe,

Karen

🐶

• Lewis91
    Lewis91 Member Posts: 4

Thank you both for your replies.

from what I can see because I take Adalimumab every fortnight and no other medication I don’t think there is a need for me to shield. However I have had a flare up in the past 3 months and had a steroid injection whilst attending an emergency appointment so therefore I think I just need to follow strict social distancing.

I did pop on the website linked to my hospital for information that was given to my from my rheumatologist regarding covid. They stated that they have received high volumes of calls from patients asking about shielding and medication and therefore was unable to take anymore calls or produce letter for employers on shielding. Attached it had a flow chart which then gave you 3 outcomes from answering yes/no questions and my outcome was strict social distancing. Unsure if this means I need to be off work. It is not very clear at all.

im currently off work awaiting a test result of a covid test so depending the outcome I think it best I just have a chat with my work to see what my best options are. I work in a school on the maintenance department.

many Thanks for your help

Lewis

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Lewis, adalimumab works by suppressing our overactive immune systems which leaves us at greater risk to diseases. Please ring your GP for advice. Only your rheumatologist can alter your prescription but your GP should be able to give good advice. I take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine and, to all intents and purposes, have been shielding since March.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton

Hi Lewis

Yes I think you are right if you don't take anything else luke MTX as well as the adalimumab, but have to agree with Sticky there your GP can advise.

Your employer can and should be able to take precautions to keep you safe at work or may be able to furlough you given they will be temporarily closed as schools are just now.

Take care

• Lewis91
    Lewis91 Member Posts: 4

Thank you both, I will give my GP a call tomorrow to see if they have any advise for me.

thank you for your help, take care

• frogmorton

You too Lewis stay safe.