Groin pain related to hip OA?

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 12. Jan 2021, 13:43 in Living with arthritis

Hi all. I'm 74 and have got osteoarthritis in various joints - I've had two successful trapeziectomies - and also have chronic hip bursitis and fibromyalgia. Yesterday evening I sat for quite a long time sorting through documents etc., but, when I got up I could hardly walk. The pain over one hip was excruciating and spread into the groin area. I had to use my walking stick to get around the house - something I never usually need to do - and could hardly put my foot to the floor.

This morning it's a lot better, but I've still got this groin pain when I walk. I'm used to the bursitis pain on the outside of the hip, but this is different. Now wondering if this is arthritic hip pain - it certainly feels like the joint is affected. I've been lucky so far that my hips haven't been affected by OA, but maybe that's changed.

Two questions. Is it possible for OA to show itself like this, after a long spell of sitting? And does arthritis hip pain occur in the groin, rather than the outside of the hip?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi@Megrose489

I've heard people on here saying that before that they get pain in their groin so I had a look at this link and it also mentions groin pain.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-oa-of-the-hip/

I think it might be time to see your GP 🤔

Take care

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

My problems in my hip (pain and reduced mobility of the ball joint) were diagnosed by my physio as bursitis for a long time, but without the benefit of a scan or xray. After a fall, the pain got worse and they finally sent me for xray, which found very advanced arhtirits, now waiting for a new hip. My orthopedic surgeon said this condition can sometimes deteriorate very suddenly.

I experience similar pain to you, severe pain in my groin and in other parts of the hihp jointm, along with referred pain in my knee and shin. I'm generally very stiff when I get up after sitting for a few hours. What you describe does sound like arthritic pain. It varies depending on which parts of the joint have worn, and how badly, so everyone's experience will be a little different, but if I put any weight suddenly onto my duff leg, the pain in my hip is excrutiating, so I have to treat slow and carefully. Hills and steps are a problem for me, and running or even walking fast is completely out of the question.

I agree with Toni, in your position I would be seeing my GP and hoping to get referred for xray.

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 12. Jan 2021, 22:01

Thank you Toni and Lilymary for your helpful replies and the link. I will take your advice and see my GP, but think I will wait until i've had my Covid vaccine. I'm in my seventies, so, hopefully, not too long to wait. It's interesting that you mentioned bursitis, Lilymary, as I've had this, on both sides, for about five years now. I've had injections, but they haven't done anything. Thanks again.

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 260

Hi @Megrose489 I had a hip replacement 6 years ago, and before having it i had a lot of pain in my groin, so I suspect yours may be osteoarthritis. I am now waiting for knee surgery and find I am stiff after any position for 20 minutes, especially sitting. I need to look up bursitis as I'm not sure what it is!

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 13. Jan 2021, 12:42

Hi @CarylW

Welcome to the on line community,You say that you had a hip replacement 6years ago and now waiting for knee surgery and feel stiff after 20minutes in one position, and you would like to know what Bursitis is.

Here are a few links that might be helpful.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/

Hope these links are helpful.Please keep in touch on your progress

Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 260

Hi @Chris_R Thank you for this. Luckily I haven't got Bursitis! Just painful knees.

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791

Hi @CarylW

Glad the links were a help.Yes sometimes when you see what others have to go through you are glad just to have what What life has sent you.

Hope you are enjoying chatting to others on the forum I find it does help.

Please keep in touch to tell us how you are getting on

Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• LizS
    LizS Member Posts: 15

Hi I’m new here, only 46 but recently went to the doc due to having pain in my hip and groin after getting up from sitting. It gradually got worse over the summer and autumn to the point I could hardly walk some days...anyway long story short, I went to msk clinic yesterday and was told I’ll be getting a full hip replacement! So yes, I’d say you need to go see your Gp. Hope you can get sorted soon.

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 668

Hi @LizS and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

I see that you have just been diagnosed with OA and are being advised that you’ll need a full hip replacement. I can understand why this must be quite a shock especially when you’re obviously such an active person.

If you haven’t already visited our website the following links should provide you with information on your condition as well as answering some of the queries raised in your other two posts.

This link gives general information on OA:

This one is specific to OA of the hip

You’ve definitely come to the right place to receive input from others who have been in a similar situation and I’m sure you’ll receive some useful feedback.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• LizS
    LizS Member Posts: 15

Thanks Chris. It is a bit of a shock, but hopefully I’ll be back to full mobility after the op instead of the waddle I seem to have developed :)