Raised ESR levels

Hi, i posted back in 2018 that my esr levels were raised at 6.6., I had some good advice back then and didn't really worry about it too much.

However, I have just had another (private ) test, which showed my esr levels now at 9.3, which is showing some consistency with the raised levels.

I am diagnosed with generalised osteoarthritis, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hypermobile) and fibromyalgia. Pain clinic has shown pain reactions in my sacro-iliac, which was helped with bi lateral steroid injections, but nerve debridement in October has not helped. I have tried all sorts of diagnosed painkillers with little relief.

I have deteriorated a great deal over the last few years and have now had to give up work. My pain levels vary, my fatigue is horrendous and I get about very disturbed sleep.

Should I be speaking to my GP and if so, what should I be asking?

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

You really need to speak with your GP and give him/her all of the symptoms you are currently suffering from, it could well be that you may have Fibromyalgia as well as OA, ask to be referred to a Pain Clinic if you have not been already.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,401

If I remember rightly raised ESR indicates inflammation🤔

I would have to agree with Mike maybe the time has come to return to your GP and see if there is anything else which can be done?

Take care

• Hi @lozza812

Thank you for posting on the forum again. I’m pleased you found it helpful back in 2018.

I am sorry to hear you have deteriorated so much over the last few years and have had to give up work due the pain, fatigue and disturbed sleep.

Thanks to Mike1 and frogmorton for their advice and support. We would agree that you should speak to your GP about your worsening symptoms and the impact they are having on your quality of life.

The symptoms you are experiencing are consistent with the conditions you have been diagnosed with, but they might also relate to inflammatory arthritis. Inflammatory arthritis can often be difficult to diagnose, and a firm diagnosis can usually only be made by a consultant rheumatologist. You may need to be reviewed by, or referred to, a rheumatologist.

We would suggest that you mention your recent blood test results to your GP and discuss whether further tests are appropriate. It’s worth remembering that blood tests are not the only consideration here: your worsening symptoms are important too. 

You could ask your GP run a further blood tests, including ESR, CRP and possibly Rheumatoid factor (RF) to measures the level of inflammation in the bod. This may help you and your GP to determine whether further tests are needed and determine what to do next.

You can find out more about the inflammatory arthritis pathway, including information about speaking your GP about your symptoms, below. I have also included links to each of the conditions you have been diagnosed with. This may help you to prepare for your GP appointment.

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

The inflammatory arthritis pathway | Symptoms and treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Fibromyalgia | Causes, symptoms, treatment | Versus Arthritis

Joint hypermobility | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Osteoarthritis (OA) | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

• lozza812
    lozza812 Member Posts: 25

Thank you everyone!

It is always a relief to know people are around to help

Xxxxxx