Am I able to take up when offered the covid vaccine if I have just taken my monthly vaccine of golim

Options

Sorry I asked the question above just concerned for when invited to take up the covid vaccine that if I have just taken my golimumab I will not be able to take up the offer of the covid vaccination can you offer any advice please

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @Lynndilou and welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You are concerned that you may not be able to have the Covid vaccine due to the fact that you take Golimumab. Please don’t apologise for asking the question here, it’s what the forum is for i.e. sharing your questions/thoughts and seeking advice from others in a similar position.

If you follow this link to our website there’s a section on being able to take flu vaccines for those taking Golimumab:

The indication is that it’s fine to take annual flu vaccines with Golimumab but it is probably best to check with your GP to ensure that with the Covid vaccination this is the case.

There’s another article on the Covid section of our website that recommends you check with either your GP or Rheumatology Team:

There may be other forum members who have faced a similar situation with Golimumab and can shed more light.

I hope that you receive some useful input from members.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear Lynndilou

Thank you for your post on the forum. As ChrisB has said it is fine for you to pose your question here as that is what the forum is for. I see that ChrisB has responded to your post and has given you some links to our information.

You would need to speak to your rheumatology team or GP about the timing of taking your golimumab prior to having the Covid vaccine. Our general information on those taking immunosuppressants and the Covid vaccine is ‘All of the COVID-19 vaccines available in the UK are safe for people with arthritis and people taking drugs that suppress the immune system, even if your condition is active’. This, and more information on the Covid vaccine for people with arthritis is on the link below. In particular the section on ‘Could my medication or condition mean I can’t have the COVID-19 vaccine?’ may be helpful for you.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/covid-19-updates/vaccines-for-covid-19-your-questions-answered/

If you feel you would like to talk things through with us you are very welcome to call us here on the helpline. You can do this on our confidential, freephone helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday – Friday 9am – 8pm.

I hope the above information is helpful to you.

Best Wishes

Dawn

• Lynndilou
    Lynndilou Member Posts: 4
    Options

Good evening

Thank you for the very welcoming information you have given me it is very helpful and I am very grateful for all of the detailed and informed info.

best wishes to the team you are providing a fantastic service

Lindilou