Arthritic fingers

I have arthritis in my fingers, nodes and out of shape fingers and swollen joints/fingers. I can't make a fist and struggle to grip some things. My question is....does anyone suffer with stinging fingers? It feels like the skin on my worst fingers are stinging/burning. They are very painful in cold weather and I find driving long distances painful too. I take Co-codamol and Ibuprofen to try and alleviate the pain. My fingers are very swollen and stiff first thing in the morning when I wake up.

Any advice and help/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @Sooz,

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

I see that you are suffering with arthritis in your fingers resulting in swollen fingers and a stinging sensation particularly when it’s cold.

I have OA and have experienced similar issues with stinging fingers in the past. It was particularly bad a couple of years ago so, following my GP’s advice, I tried taking Glucosamine Sulphate and have done so ever since. This ‘appears’ to have worked for me but of course that’s no guarantee at all that it would work for you and may just have coincided with the condition easing naturally.

Our website has some relevant information which you may find useful:

I’m sure that other forum members will be able to give you some relevant feedback so I would encourage you to fully engage with the forum.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hi Sooz

I get a sensation like a papercut or as if I have grazed the skin or bruised the joints in my fingers. I've been recommended IMAK gloves, which I use now and they help. I do a lot of crafts, and these have helped me be able to paint or sew for longer than without, and they are also great if you are chopping stuff.