Exercise

Options

I have osteoarthritis in my knees. It's not crippling, I basically live a normal life but it does restrict what I can do at work. Sometimes, as now, I get a flare up mainly due to over doing it.

I'm looking for some exercises I can do both to help with the arthritis and general fitness. I'm wondering if there are any videos out there ?

I'm 62 and yes I am overweight. I lost nearly 2 stone last year but put it all back on. I have now dropped half a stone and pleased that I am still lighter than this time last year. My work is physical in a warehouse, on my feet 8 hours a day. I am trying to lose weight and have the general idea how to do it but I want to incorporate some exercise.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Welcome @Hodgy1959 to the online community

You are looking for exercises that will help both with osteoarthritis in your knees and with loosing weight,

I hope these links will be helpful

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/exercising-with-arthritis/lets move

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritithes-of--knee

You say that you get a flare up (as now) due to over doing it I think you will find that this is a common problem ,we are our own worst enemies at times!

Have you talked with your GP about treatment ,pain management and diet.

The community is full of members who will be pleased to share their experiences of life with arthritis and their enjoyment of exercising with Let's Move with Leon.

We look forward to hearing from you again,

Best wishes

Poppyjane (moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85
    Options

I’d definitely recommend Let’s Move with Leon. It’s on the VA website and you just sign up and he sends you weekly exercises on a video link to do. They’re really gentle and you can do them sitting down or standing up, whichever is comfortable. I really enjoy them and find them helpful.

Here’s the link if you’re interested: https://action.versusarthritis.org/page/64082/-/1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwMiAoL-97gIVAurtCh34cw7BEAAYASAAEgI8vPD_BwE

It’s a shame the swimming pools are closed at the moment because that’s a good way to build up your muscles without putting too much pressure on them ( although maybe it is a bit chilly to be thinking about swimming at the moment!)

Good Luck!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options
  • N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 160
    Options

You could try a recumbent or semi recumbent exercise bike (you sit back more than on an upright bike and push horizontally).

Prob best to discuss with a physio or try one before buying. Spend a bit more for one with adjustable magnetic resistance which feels just like a real bike.

Most have a computer which tells you speed, distance, calories burnt and pulse.

I got one in December (I never knew recumbents existed before then) it folds away in a corner of the spare room and I love it, especially in lockdown.