New Member Arthritis in neck

Mamie
Mamie Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I have been diagnosed with Arthritis in neck I get headaces every day any advice.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 19. Feb 2021, 19:17

Hi @Mamie

Welcome to the online community, great to see you have found us.

You say you have been diagnosed with Arthritis in the neck and are having headaches every day and asked for adviceNeck pain | Causes, exercises, treatments | Versus Arthritis

Here is a link that may help you,i hope you will go round the forums they are full of friendly people who are very willing to help and give advice,also understanding as we all have some form of Arthritis.

Please keep in contact and tell us how you are getting on.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @Mamie

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to the forum. I also have cervical spondylosis like you not much fun is it?

Over the years I have got pretty good at managing it and 'heading off' (apologies for the pun) bad flares where I can't move for days and lose sensation in my shoulders and chest vomiting with the pain.

First of all I ditched my two pillows initially for a hand towel rolled up in the neck, but I am now on probably my 5th/6th memory foam shaped one which does the same thing.

If I feel a bad bout coming I rest - our heads do weigh a lot of you think about it. I take my pain meds as I am allowed and add some prune juice (you will know why!).

I also have and swear by my wheaties which go in the microwave for comfort.

In general I just try not to overdo things.

Sending ((()))

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I spend the vast majority of my time in my recliner which supports my head, on the rare occasion I go out (like yesterday for my vaccine) I wear a cervical collar which was prescribed by an OT at the hospital.

• Mamie
    Mamie Member Posts: 3

Its the headaces I have had headaces every day for a year now.

I had injection 3 weeks ago hasnt helped yet.

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Mamie,

I am the same as you headaches every day and it’s draining and every time I turn my head all I hear is terrible creaking I find believe it or not a cool cloth on my head helps a little it’s also the tinnitus that drives me barking mad (not that I wasn’t before haha) I also bought light blocking curtains for my bedroom It’s really hard though and horrible so sending a hug

Mike.... I’m so happy you’ve had your vaccine hope all’s well x

Jona 😊

• SimonC
    SimonC Member Posts: 14

Hi Mamie

I am new here and just been diagnosed with arthritis of the neck to. In fact this is my first post.

Would be good to keep in touch to share tips and discoveries.

Hoping this feels better for both of us soon.

Simon

Simon 💜

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @SimonC - Welcome to the online community!

Thankyou for coming on and sharing your journey with us - it all looks a bit much at the start when you've just been diagnosed, so it's great you found us and we can help a bit! You've just been diagnosed with arthritis in your neck, and you're already connecting with others 😊

I'd suggest having a look at the page linked above about neck pain. Also have a look at the Exercises for the neck page as these can really help with long term management of pain and mobility.

Given it's your neck I'd also have a look into physical therapies - these are mostly used for the back and neck, so they may well be of interest to you: Manipulative therapies | Side-effects, uses | Versus Arthritis

It's lovely to meet you!

-------

On the subject of headaches - these could be a case of reflective or referred pain from your neck, but annoying they can also be a side effect of taking paracetamol every day for headaches. I've been prone to headaches myself since I was a child, and at one point I was getting headaches every day and it didn't seem to make much difference if I took pain killers or not. After months and some desperate googleing I discovered that if you take paracetamol every day for headaches (or while you have headaches) the paracetamol itself will start causing the headaches. I ended up cutting it out for a month, and now I'm very careful how I take it. I still get headaches, but not every day and not as bad. This may not be relevant to you guys, but bear it in mind and see if it helps at all.

Shell

• SimonC

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice Shell. I really appreciate it

Simon 💜

• Jona

Hi Simon,

I have DDD with spondylosis with oseophytes in my neck have been getting headaches every day for about a year very horrid and fully sympathetic for you I’ve been told its all from the neck problem I also have tinnitus and it drives me bonkers I’m afraid I’ve not yet found anything to help but I have an appt at the pain clinic soon maybe they can suggest as my drs are not interested in offering anything but pills tried most but not helped sorry to sound negative but if they suggest anything I will post it here and let you know

btw nice to meet you and welcome lovely people here and I’m sure they will help

take care

Jona 😊

• SimonC

Thank you so much for your kind welcome Jona.

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis and hope we can at least support each other here

Simon 💜

Simon 💜

• Jona

Hi Simon I’m sure we will together is strength I know it may sound daft but a warm cloth on my forehead helps sometimes

Jona 😊