Is this arthritis

Options

I have chronic pain in my left knee with regular water retention. I attend the pain clinic they are doing injections in my left hip. I have had 2 knee operations as the surgeon said just tidying it up. He says there is no sign of arthritis but he was going by my last xray 6 years ago. I also suffer with my feet they are numb and tingle constantly feeling cold. Cant walk far due to the pain. Is this arthritis should I demand another xray?

Comments

• Hi @Ferguson931, welcome to the online community! I'm glad you've chosen to join us.

I see you're having chronic knee pain and problems with your feet too, but are unsatisfied with the answers you've gotten from your doctors.

It would be a good idea to tell your doctor about the numbness, tingling, and coldness in your feet if you haven't already - this could be from a number of different causes and it is best to get these things sorted, especially as it is giving you discomfort.

Unfortunately we can't say whether you have arthritis or not; perhaps you could seek a second opinion. It would certainly be good to know for sure if you do have it in some form as a diagnosis would help to inform your treatment. Whatever the diagnosis (or lack of diagnosis), I hope you find a treatment that helps to ease your symptoms.

Here's a link with lots of information about knee pain which I hope you will find helpful:

Knee pain | Causes, treatments and self-management (versusarthritis.org)

I wonder whether you would be interested in the Let's Move with Leon programme. It is designed for people with arthritis, but the effects of exercise are beneficial for mostly anyone's joints, as well as physical fitness and mental wellbeing. You can sign up here if you'd like to give it a go: https://action.versusarthritis.org/page/64082/-/1

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Sarah (mod) x

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear Ferguson931

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I see from your post that you have chronic pain in you knee and that you also suffer with numbness, tingling and coldness in your feet and would like to know if this is arthritis. I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain.

As Sarah has suggested in her response to you we could not say whether this is arthritis. It is important to speak to your doctor to describe your symptoms so that they can make a diagnosis and your condition can be treated accordingly. If you have an appointment with a doctor, to help make sure you get the most out of it, you could take a list of questions with you and tick them off as they are discussed.

I see that Sarah has provided the link for our information on managing Knee Pain and suggested our Let’s Move with Leon programme. If you are diagnosed with arthritis it’s very important to remain active as this will improve your health and make your pain better.

You can get further advice and support about exercise from a GP, or you could ask them for referral to a physiotherapist.

I have also put a link for our information on ‘What is arthritis?’ that might be helpful to you as it describes symptoms and treatments.

What is arthritis?

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team you are very welcome to call us here on the helpline. You can do this by calling us on 0800 5200 520 (Mondays – Fridays, 9am – 8pm.

Best Wishes

Dawn, Helpline Advisor