Is this it?

MollieMoyle
MollieMoyle Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I’ve just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and it affects every joint in my body - doctors weren’t that helpful and I don’t seem to be able to find a painkiller that takes away the pain.

is it going to be this bad for the rest of my life?

Comments

• Hi @MollieMoyle, welcome to the online community! I'm so glad you've decided to join us.

I see that you have a recent diagnosis of OA and you're wondering whether the pain will persist for the rest of your life. This is a completely understandable concern - being faced with a long-term condition can be really overwhelming. However, it might reassure you to read this (from the Versus Arthritis page on osteoarthritis):

Osteoarthritis affects different people, and different joints, in different ways. But, for most people, osteoarthritis doesn’t continue to get steadily worse over time.

For some people, the condition reaches a peak a few years after the symptoms start and then remains the same or may even improve. Others may find they have several phases of moderate joint pain with improvements in between.

On top of this, there are things you can do to help look after your joints. Careful exercise, for example, can help to reduce pain as it strengthens the muscles and lubricate the joints. There's a fantastic online exercise programme designed especially for people with arthritis called 'Let's Move with Leon', which you can sign up for here if you're interested:

(I seem to give this link out to everyone but that's because the programme get so much positive feedback!)

I'm sure other members will be happy to weigh in with their personal experiences too. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy browsing the online community and feel free to join in with any discussion you like.

Best wishes,

Sarah (mod) x

• SarahJS
    SarahJS Member Posts: 14

Hi @MollieMoyle,

This is a question I often ask myself and I would wholeheartedly agree with @SarahGF that gentle exercise can be helpful. Obviously you know your own body and need to make sure you pace yourself as you see fit. I have RA and OA, and have recently signed up for the above exercise program as I am finding that I've struggled a lot more during lockdown with my usual dance classes being closed. I can also relate to your GP experience, I feel that I was told I had a problem then was left. However, I have started keeping a journal which is recording evidence should I need it for appointments but is also helping me manage and understand my condition mentally.

We are always here for you,

Sarah

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

You need to ask for a referral to you local Pain Clinic, they will have more experience of OA and will be able to try different meds and treatments on you.

• Thanks for your advice - much appreciated 😊

is there a standard painkiller for OA?

i’ ve been prescribed Co-Dydramol and it only eases the pain for About 3/4 hours - I seem to be taking an awful lot during a day to make it possible to move.

xx