Are supplements any good for hip joint with no space left? i.e. bone on bone!

Options

I have just joined and have never used a Forum before so would like to ask an outstanding question for me. That is; will supplements be any good when I have a hip joint which no longer has any space and where there is bone-on-bone? I'm in pain when mobile and am not happy with Consultants recommendation that I take regular paracetamol whilst I have to wait perhaps up to 2 years for a hip replacement.

Thank you

Eric MacLeod

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 795
    edited 19. Feb 2021, 19:46
    Options

Hi @ericmacleod

Welcome to the online community, so glad you have found us.

You ask if supplements will help bone on bone hip joint.As you know a new hip would be the best for you but the consultant has said there is a 2 year wait.You could go back to your GP and ask for a stronger pain killer while you wait,or you could go for a second opinion from another Consultant.

Exercise may help and i can give you a link for that and also advice on pain management. You could ask your GP about suppliments that may help aswell

Hip pain | Causes, exercises, treatments | Versus Arthritis

Let's Move with Leon (versusarthritis.org)

Diet and nutritional supplements | Side-effects, uses (versusarthritis.org)

Hope these links help,please keep in touch and tell us how you get on,meanwhile why dont you take time to chat on our forums,it sometimes helps to chat to others

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear Eric McLeod

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your posting. I am sorry to hear that you are in pain with your hip and you ask if supplements will help with your condition bone while you are waiting for a hip replacement. I see that Christine has provided information about supplements that may help and managing hip pain. Also that you could speak to your GP about supplements.

I have also put a link below to our report on supplements and their potential effectiveness and safety. You have said that the paracetamol you are taking is not helping with the pain and, as has been suggested, you could speak to your consultant or possibly your GP about reviewing your pain relief. The right type of exercises can also help manage hip pain. Before you begin, it’s a good idea to get advice from a doctor or physiotherapist. I have put a link below for our general information on exercise and its benefits.

Complementary and alternative medicines report

Managing your pain, treatments and self help

Exercise and arthritis

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team then you are very welcome to call us here on the helpline on 0800 5200 520  (Monday – Friday, 9am – 8pm).

Best Wishes

Dawn, Helpline Advisor