hip replacement at 24 but now...

Hi all

I'm struggling with the lockdown & trying to get appointments but wondering If anyone who's had a hip replacement can help... So I had total left hip replacement surgery 2-3 years ago now & best choice I made however..... My right knee is hurting so much and my right glute muscle is always on fire I can't stand around for long and I find myself hiding away to cover the fact I'm in pain cause I'm mad I put the hip replacement on a pedastol thinking I would have a more normal life left hip wonderful but my right knee and gluteus are so painful it's never ending....... Has anyone eles has this?

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Powerpuffgirl92

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis online Community.

I see you are struggling to get appointments with the COVID pandemic going on. You are definitely not alone with this issue, but do sound to be struggling a lot. You had a hip replacement 2/3 years ago now your problems are on the other side. Do any of the symptoms ring a bell I wonder. Some of our member do find the 'other' hip joins in as we can 'favour' the 'good' leg while waiting for surgery.

You haven't said which kind of Arthritis you have, but I am attaching a leaflet about knee pain which may be useful as it gives tips how to cope Knee pain | Causes, treatments and self-management (versusarthritis.org)

But really suspect you do need to see someone to find out exactly what is going on.

I'll leave our members to share their own experience with you.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

I have commented before that people should be careful what they wish for with treatment. It may be an old injury that needs investigation or caused by you walking with an unnatural gait a while ago or putting all your weight through one leg?

A zoom appointment with your doctor may help? Analgesic ointment, paracetamol and wheat bags all at once will help. An ice bag on your muscular pain will help but doctor first.

its a grin, honest!

• Hello to you both!

Sorry I'm so new to this after I written discussion its taken so long to get back and find it again... I had hip displsia when I was born and had hip trouble all my life with over 8 - 10 operations to put it right finally when I was 24 I had no other option but to have left hip placed cause I had osteoarthritis so badly it was bone on bone since I was like 16 & I waited so long I was wheelchair bound I thought it was gonna be life changing & boy was I wrong I'm expected to go to work full time l and live an average everyday life and I can't even stand for longer than 10 minutes 😂it's just so fastrating to be honest cause i had high hopes around a successful future & I've had loads of different jobs I just can't hold one down cause of pain and disability it's so disappointing and my mood is suffering for it and now my hip and knee on the unoprated side is so painful.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Is it time do you think to let them look at the unoperated side now @Powerpuffgirl92 ?

If you haven't already I think it is. You know everything thing you describe suggests something is going on there and it's not a surprise when you think about the pressure that side has been on with the other so bad for so long.

((()))