Postponed Hip replacement

Hi

First post. Truth be told, I am just looking for someone who can relate to me and my difficulties and can make me feel a bit less isolated.

I've had Rheumatoid for 23 years (now 53). Now also osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. Both knees replaced and right hip completely gone. My hip replacement surgery was due on 19 March last year but was cancelled with 17 hrs notice due to covid and the first lockdown.

I've been on two crutches permanently since October 2019, am essentially housebound as I can't walk any distance even on crutches and can't bear my weight through my hands. My Rheumatoid is always flared up, have huge lumps on my wrists from the crutches and rheumatoid. My right leg has returned to the valgus I had before my knees were replaced and is currently over an inch longer than my left leg. My ankles and back are agony too. An x ray last week revealed my hip was worse than they expected.

I can't have any steroids in case they schedule my op so am on my biologics, anti inflammatories and pain killers. Having stomach problems because of the meds.

Just totally exhausted from pain and lack of sleep. Mental health in fast decline. No sign of a date for the op being rescheduled. I am just grateful for a loving family who care for me. I am shielding, but continuing to work remotely from home.

I really do just want this to be me, but I know there will be lots of other people out there like me, or worse. I'd love to hear how you are managing to cope and what your health authority are doing to communicate with you and support you.

How are you all doing?

Best wishes,

Deborah

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @DMorse (Deborah)

I can see you are really struggling while waiting for your postponed hip replacement. You have posted this in the helplines category so I will leave them to reply to you, but if you wish to and have time do take a look on the main forum there are definitely others who have had their surgeries delayed due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.

You are most definitely not alone.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• DMorse
    DMorse Member Posts: 3

Thanks so much Ellen. I will take a look.

Deborah

• Hi @DMorse (Deborah)

Thank you for posting on the forum. I’m sorry your hip replacement surgery was cancelled at the start of the first lockdown and, despite the x-ray last week which showed that things are worse than the medics expected, you still don’t have a date for the re-scheduled surgery. It is totally understandable, given that you in pain and exhausted from the lack of sleep, this is all impacting on your mental wellbeing.

I’m pleased you have reached out for support under the circumstances. Thanks to Ellen for suggesting that you also check out the main forum. This is a safe space for you to offer and receive support from others who are facing a similar situation.

You are, of course, very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. It is difficult to offer any practical solutions here, but it may help to discuss your situation in more detail because there are a few things we can suggest that may help, especially as you can’t have steroids and are getting stomach problems because of the medications. I do hope you will give us a call. In the meantime, you may find this link to managing symptoms helpful:

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team