Hi I'm new here

jabroom13
jabroom13 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi I was recently told that I have arthitis in my spine. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help with the aching and discomfort. Thanks in advance x

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @jabroom13 it is my pleasure to welcome you to the forum.

I can see from your post that you have been told you have spinal arthritis, do you know if this is osteoarthritis or inflammatory?

I myself have Ankylosing Spondylitis which is an inflammatory spinal arthritis and have been managing the condition for about 10 years now. I am glad I can say that through exercise, medication and a healthier active lifestyle I have successfully been able to have long periods of being pain free. I hope that you are able to find a plan and balance that works for you.

To get you started below is a link that you may find useful:

• A general information leaflet about spinal osteoarthritis with a lot of background information and useful tips:

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the spine | Back pain | Versus Arthritis

Can I check if you have had a diagnosis and if so what was it? This will help us to signpost you to the most appropriate help.

Please feel free to post again / reply to this thread or have a look around for more information or others with similar experiences.

Take care and good luck.

Joe

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi jabroom13,

Welcome I have arthritis in my spine and I use mostly a hot water bottle and tens machine I’m afraid painkillers don’t help with me just try to keep active and gentle exercise you can ask the dr for a referral to pain clinic but establish like Joe said what kind of arthritis it is first,

I know it’s horrible but I’m sure the lovely people here will offer better advice just know your not alone with it

take care

Jona 😊

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi@jabroom13 nice to meet you.

I use my warm wheatbag (that you heat in the microwave) for my back it moulds well into where it's needed. Actually i have 7 of them as my youngest uses them too!

Like Jona I have used a tens in the past in fact worn out 2!

Finally walk every day I possibly can even if it's only a short distance and not as fast as I used to.

Hope our tips are helping.