Acid reflux/heartburn not allowed to take Omeprazole

Hello I was wondering if anyone can help?

I am currently taking methotrexate 15mg which is to be increased this week to 25mg for psoriatic arthritis

Prior to taking methotrexate I used to take omeprazole due to acid reflux and it stopped my stomach from getting upset while taking naproxen which helped with my swelling in joints.

I was told I could no longer take omeprazole while on methotrexate and this has stopped me being able to take naproxen as well.

Aside from the other side effects I am struggling mostly with terrible heartburn and acid reflux and have tried peppermint tea and mints but am really unsure what I can take that is safe while on this medication and I spoke to my GP last week who advised me to tough it out until I next see my rheumatologist.

Does anyone else suffer with this or do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Shaphron
    Shaphron Member Posts: 74

Hiya!

I've had terrible heartburn myself - they put me on lansoprazole to help. I've since come off it and found a few home remedies which help me, I don't believe they'd hurt to try.

• Ginger and Liquorice are both helpful, as teas or sucky sweet things. I also ginger biscuits 😊
    • Baking soda, a small teaspoon, can help neutralize the acid. It can make you burp tho, and I don't like the taste, so I always have a glass of water with it, which probably makes the burping worse....
    • Believe it or not, having some apple cider vinegar before you eat can also help. There's a school of thought which says you're more likely to have heart burn because your stomach is upset it's not making enough acid (or something). I don't really know the reason behind it, but this has actually given me the best help even tho it seems counter-intuitive. You're suppose to take something like a teaspoon in a small glass of warm water, with a teaspoon of honey as well, but I just cannot stand the taste, so I've found some apple cider vinegar tablets and take those before my main meal of the day. They have definitely made an impact for me.

I've tried all of the above with at least some success, but try yourself and see what works for you. We're all different, which isn't always helpful when getting recommendations. You could also make your doctors aware that this is a big problem for you, see if they can come up with a more medical solution. Often, if you don't stress how much of an issue it is, people think it's not as bad as it is. The default is to assume you're exaggerating, so you have to be quite firm if it is an issue for you.

Hope at least one of these helps!

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

• Hi Cribbo17,

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum, I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing terrible heartburn and acid reflux due to your medication.

For more information on other treatment that could help with this it may be worth visiting your local Pharmacist for more advice, they could possibly be able to suggest something that could help to settle your stomach whilst taking the Methotrexate.

Please do feel free to call us on the Helpline for any other help that you require, on the free phone number (0800 5200 520 – 9am-8pm, Mon-Fri)

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Cribbo17
    Cribbo17 Member Posts: 8

Thank you Shaphron and Chris I will pop in and see the pharmacist tomorrow and will defo try the liquorice and ginger biscuits and see about the apple cider vinegar. I’ll try anything if it will help.

This is a great site so glad to have it.

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

If it is getting you at night invest in a wedge cushion. best thing I did in a long time

• Cribbo17

So that I’m propped up? I will get one thank you sunnyside x

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

My mother had bad reactions to omeprazole and ranitidine (awful all over skin rashes), but she finds Gaviscon Advance (or Double Action? - sorry, I can't remember which one) managed her heartburn really well. The "normal" Gaviscon didn't help as much.

• Hi @Cribbo17

How come you was told you wasn't allowed to take omeprazole anymore?

I used to take Lansoprazole and Ranitidine and the Ranitidine was amazing. However, that is unavailable now and they told me to take Gaviscon. Horrible disgusting stuff it is. x

As you can tell I can't stand the stuff.

Anyway, after lots of moaning about the heartburn I have been given another medication but I still get the Heart Burn and the Reflux. I agree about the wedge pillow as well. x

Fruitbat1981

• birch
    birch Member Posts: 2

birch

The wedge at night time is a game changer , got mine off Amazon best to get one with a memory foam top .It has helped so much .Hope you get some relief the reflux is horrible .

• Cribbo17

Thank you @Lilymary @Fruitbat1981 @Bic1982 I am still trying to get something that works have ordered the wedge pillow and bought gaviscon the pharmacist advised that you cannot take omeprazole and other similar medications as they stop the methotrexate from breaking down and being flushed through your system so can cause a build up of toxicity? It was explained better to me but I can’t remember exactly. So I have taken the gaviscon just now and will speak to my rheumatology nurse and ask what is safest to take.

thanks so much for all the help and advice everyone x