Osteoarthritis

Hi All.

Can anyone recommend a good pillow for neck and shoulder pain. I have bought so many over the last couple of months that I have lost count. Many thanks

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 12. Mar 2021, 22:51

hi @karenM

Welcome to the online community .You dont say what has caused the pain in your neck and shoulder it would be helpful if you could say why you are in pain

Here is a link that may help

Neck pain | Causes, exercises, treatments | Versus Arthritis

pillow for neck pain relief - Bing

Meanwhile going on the forum and chatting to others may help you find out.

Take care Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

It depends whether you sleep on your back or side as to which type of pillow works best, I am a side sleeper. I too have spent hundreds on pillows and can honestly say that I think I have tried the lot, I have even been to a bed centre and had the gap between my shoulder and the side of my neck measured before buying a new pillow as it is this gap that is key to getting the right pillow to support your neck. You need a pillow that will fill the gap comfortably when you are in bed so that it does not distort your neck. For the past couple of months I have been using a V shaped pillow and tuck it around the back and front of my neck when hitting the sack, I then cuddle the pillow. It has - thus far - reduced the amount of pain that I get in my neck but has not increased the amount of sleep I get.

• Dear karenM

Thank you for your post on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you have neck and shoulder pain and that none of the pillows you have bought have helped. We cannot recommend a particular pillow but general advice is that if your pillow is too firm or thick, it can make neck pain worse. Changing the number or position of pillows may be helpful. Your head and neck should be supported so your head is level with your body in a neutral position. The pillow should fill in the natural hollow between the neck and shoulders – a soft or moulded pillow may be useful, or a supportive roll inside your pillow case can support the hollow of your neck. It may be helpful to speak to a health professional, for example your GP if your pain is persistent.

Below are some links to our website that provides hints and tips on getting a good night’s sleep and general information on improving your sleep and managing pain.

Sleep hints and tips | Bedding, mattresses

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help

Shoulder pain | Causes, symptoms, treatments

You may also find the following general information from other organisations useful. We have no control over the contents of these resources and are unable to guarantee their suitability for you, but we hope they’re helpful. The Disabled Living Foundation provide impartial advice and guidance on aids and solutions for independent living. Their helpline is available Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm on 0300 999 0004. You can also access their website on the following link

Living Made Easy - Pillows

I hope this information is helpful. If you would like to talk things through with us here on the Helpline you are very welcome to call us. You can do this by calling us on 0800 5200 520, Monday to Friday, 9am – 8pm.

Kind Regards

Dawn, Helpline Advisor