Would it help my painful left knee to use a stick or walker as I'm limping and getting back ache

I'm wondering whether to start using a walking stick or even walker as I'm limping when walking my dog and it's causing me back pain

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @Mistyblue thanks for starting up this discussion.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing pain in your back when walking. I can see from another post you made that you have Osteoarthritis of the knee's and hips.

I am sharing a couple of links to information about hip and knee arthritis which includes information on how to manage and cope with pain.

I hope that you find a way to get some relief and I am sure one of our lovely community can share their experiences of using sticks or walkers.

Best of luck

Joe

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Mistyblue

I don't think it does us any good at all to walk wonky other joints start to feel the effects.

A walking aid might be just what you need, but it might be an idea to see a physiotherapist for advice on the right thing for you specifically. They would also adjust the height for you so it's right.

I've lost count of the number of people I have seen out and about with a walking stick far too long for them!

Take care

• Hi @Mistyblue 

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum about whether a walking stick or a walker may help with the symptoms you are experiencing when walking.

Thanks to Joe for posting the links to OA of the knee and hip. Osteoarthritis in the knee might change the way you walk or carry your weight, and this could cause you to develop the condition in other joints, such as your hips. Osteoarthritis in the hips can cause pain in the lower back, known as referred or radiating pain.

Some people find it helpful to use a walking stick if needed to reduce the weight and stress on their weight-bearing joints. I hope you find the tips about reducing the strain (under managing osteoarthritis of the knee/hip) in Joe’s links helpful.  

As Toni says, if you do use a stick or walker, it’s important to make sure it’s the right one for you and adjusted to the correct height for you. You may be able to self-refer to a physiotherapist, or you can ask your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist or occupational therapist for advice on what’s right for you. They can advise on the correct length and the best way to use the aid to help you stay mobile and independent.

You may find the information on the NHS link below helpful.

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 17. Mar 2021, 19:15

Hi @Mistyblue, I've got OA badly in one hip, and I've been using a stick for the last 9 months. I find it reduces the pain in my hip as I'm transferring the weight from my wrecked hip into the stick. This means I can keep going for longer, and slightly faster, it helps my balance if I jar my hip, and by the end of the day the pain is less than if I hadn't used the stick at all. I hate having to do it but if this is what it takes to keep me out there, I'll go along with it.

I agree with Toni though, get yourself assessed by a physio first (self refer if necessary, it's not hugely expensive and many are now seeing private patients). Hope that helps?