Newbie with arthritis in neck

Fiona49
Fiona49 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, this is my first post. I was suffering with a very painful neck for a few months and was finally sent for an X-ray which showed early stages of arthritis and a problem with my c6 and c7 vertebrae. I’m taking medication and having physio but it’s so difficult to sleep. I’m wondering g if anyone else has had this even though it’s early stages, I feel like it’s not been taken seriously enough?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @Fiona49 and welcome to the online community,

You have been diagnosed with early stages arthritis in the neck and you have a problem with your C6 and C7 vertebrae. This is making it difficult for you to sleep. Many of our members will understand what you're going through so if you've come to the right place for friendly support and advice, and suggestions for how to get a good night's sleep.

I have arthritis of the neck and I have found that memory foam pillows have really made a difference to me. Additionally, I use cotton jersey pillowslips because they're stretchy and I find them much more flexible and comfortable to sleep on. It might be something you could try.

I have also found that gentle neck exercises help to ease my neck pain. I use the Versus Arthritis exercise suggestions (link below). They are very simple and easy to follow. You may well have been given similar exercises by your physiotherapist.

I'm sure that some of our members will have other useful suggestions so I'll leave them to introduce themselves.

Do take a look round the forum and join in any conversations that interest you.

Anna (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 17. Mar 2021, 06:43

Hi @Fiona49

My discs are C5/6 so you have my sympathy. Our heads must be very heavy i always think for our skinny necks to hold up!

I also use a shaped memory foam pillow. I have had many neck 'flares' over the years and finally ditched ordinary pillows completely about 10 years ago. I started on a hand towel rolled up in my neck in bed and no pillow then found these memory foam shaped ones which do the same thing without needing to be re-rolled in the night!

Mr google should give you some ideas if you want to try them, but it did take several nights to get used to. Now I take them on holiday am never without mine.

Take care