Rheumatism

Options
1964 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi my name is Su and I've been transferred from my GP to the hospital where I have had xrays and blood tests due to severe pain all around my body. It's all very new and a little scary. My CRP markers were 264 and having phone calls from the nurses. I am about to start methotrexate where I have read up on side effects. Could anyone message me who is already on methotrexate with any advice or reassurance. Thank you.

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @1964 Su - Welcome to the Online Community!

You've had sever pain all over your body which resulted in you haveing multiple testsin hospital. You have been prescribed Methotrexate, and you're worried about the possible side effects and looking for advice and reasurrance.

You said you've already looked up Methotrexate, but just in case I've provided a link to our information on it and on Rheumatoid Arthrtis. We also have a page on questions and answers on it I've linked below:

I would like to reassure you that there are many different drugs which can help Rheumatoid Arthritis and similar conditions, so if you do get any side effects do keep your doctor appraised and they can always switch you to a different drug to find one which works for you. This is not the only solution.

I've had a quick look around and found some other discussions on this recently. Have a look at these and you should be able to open a dialogue with someone already on Methotrexate:

Do take a look around and join in other discussions as they appeal to you, we're a very firendly bunch!

It's lovely to meet you!

Shell

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hi @1964

Nice to meet you.

I really don't want you to worry too much about MTX most of us are scared of it when we read the leaflet's list (mind you the paracetamol leaflet is also pretty scary!) of potential side effects.

There are lots of things you can do do minimise them and loads of people don't get them anyway so you could be lucky.

Some take it at night (so they sleep through potential side effects) on a day when they don't have too much on the next day so they can rest a bit more. Some swear by eating certain foods often savoury! I believe in rest. Others are prescribed more folic acid which can mitigate some side effects too.

As Shell quite rightly says there are other options (Including having it by injection which can make some feel much less queasy) if MTX turns out not to be suitable for you. It is however a really really good option for many of us so I hope it is for you. Do feel free to come on for support when you start it!

Take care

Options

Thank you so much for getting back to me greatly appreciated. One of the nursing team are ringing me tomorrow regarding starting the methotrexate. I had a steroid injection 2weeks ago and my pain is far less. When the injection wears off I should imagine that the flare ups will reoccur, would I be right in saying that?.So is it wise to start the methotrexate before the injection wears off?

• MissA
    MissA Member Posts: 55
    Options

I was on methotrexate for 15 years it was like a miracle drug for me, so much so I started to wonder if I even had RA. I do know not everyone can tolerate this drug I felt lucky I had no problems. I used to worry about side effects of drug but weighed up the pros ‘ cons for me, it’s something we all have to do, no drug is risk free. After all these years at the age of 52 it started to be less effective & boy do I know it. Currently waiting for new biologic treatment which I hope works as well. Good luck, I wish you well with your treatment.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Yes@1964

Start of it before the steroid jab wears off them hopefully it will be doing the work to protect your joints for you.

This is the thing with this community people give you sensible advice not so much of the google scare stories. The damage the RA wreaked on people's bodies pre drugs like MTX can be seen (and one or two people will tell you)and you do not want that if it's avoidable.

MissA tells a very positive story too and I hope you are ready to give it a go. You will be looked after and supported tested and protected.

Take care

Options

Thank you, just very nervous at the moment