Rheumatoid arthritis

Joanne
Joanne Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi I am 49 years old and was diagnosed jan 20 with this started methotrexate but had to stop due to side effects I am now taking sulfasalazine and leflunomide daily nothing seems to work in constant pain for over a year now any suggestions would be Welcome

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Joanne I am very pleased to meet you.

I see you were diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis just over a year ago a tricky time with the COVID-19 pandemic going on.

In spite of taking two Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDS) Leflunomide and Sulfasalazine you are in constant pain.

I am sure our members will be along to share their stories and tips soon, but in the meantime I am attaching two links for you. The first is about pain:Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org) If you don't already know it is so useful to understand what pain actually is and what can be done.

The second is about Rheumatoid Arthritis and apologise in advance if you already know most/all of this:Rheumatoid arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org) The section entitled 'Managing Symptoms' might be particularly relevant to you.

Many of our members find coming here and venting sharing tips and distracting themselves from their Arthritis a huge help I hope you will too.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Joanne
    Joanne Member Posts: 3

Thanks so much for the links I’m phoning the hospital again today to see if they can maybe change my meds

• Hi Joanne I’ve just seen your post and was wondering if you had made any progress with finding the right treatment. I was diagnosed with R A 10 Years ago and have been on and off with MTX finally off it now due to chest infections and have tried sulfasalazine which made me nauseous, now on hydroxychloroquine which I tolerate well but which doesn’t seem to be getting in top of my RA . I’m going to ask about the biological drugs next . Let me know how you get on .

debbie

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

Hello Debbie, I too take MTX and Leflunomide. Has your consultant suggested trying you on Biologics/biosimilas?

If you ae a Facebook user, I'd like to suggest our friendly group on there. Crazy Arthritic Creakies. We would make you very welcome.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein