Where to get help

Options

I did have a dr tell me while was dealing with my polymialgia rheumatica that the bumps on middle finger below nail arthritis but nothing done now little is starting where can go to for help and diagnose treat thank you.

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211
    Options

Hi @Als firstly welcome to our forum I hope you find it helpful and our community can support you.

I can see from your post that you have polymyalgia rheumatica and are potentially suffering with arthritis in your finger nails / fingers?

Our website is full of information and below are a couple of links to things that may help with your questions.

Firstly information about Polymyalgia Rheumatica and also information about arthritis in hands.

Please feel free to look around the site for more information and others who have similar experiences and may be able to help.

Take care

Joe

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Als 

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m sorry you have been concerned about your symptoms.

Thank you to Joe for posting the two links.

It sounds like your doctor was talking about Heberden's nodes. They are a symptom of osteoarthritis and are caused by the growth of bony spurs called osteophytes in the joints closest to the fingernails. Almost all of us will develop osteoarthritis in some of our joints as we get older, though we may not even be aware of it. Joints that we use a lot in everyday life, such as the joints of the hand, are commonly affected.

I hope you have found Joe’s link to osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist helpful. It explains more about the symptoms and diagnosis. You may also find the link to osteoarthritis here helpful. The animation explains the process of wear and repair, and the treatment options and self-help options to help you to manage the condition.

If your symptoms are getting worse, or there’s any doubt about whether it's osteoarthritis or another type of arthritis that's causing your symptoms, you should speak to your GP again. You are welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team before you speak to your GP.  

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

• Als
    Als Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanx so much will definitely be going through all the replies so informative thanks everyone stay safe and have a good day kind regards Als