Injection for hip pain

Hi there

Could someone give me advice regarding arthritis in my hip?

Obviously the COVID-19 pandemic is causing a huge backlog of physiotherapist appointments and other hospital and GP visits so like everyone else we have to play the waiting game.

I also have arthritis in my shoulder which my GP treated with an injection and it improved my ability to move much easier. My question is this, would the same kind of treatment help with my hip. My GP has told me it’s a much more complicated procedure,

I don’t have much confidence in my GP due to his non commitment to diagnose that I had sciatica and was on crutches for ten months before having to go for a discectomy that was arranged after having to pay for an MRI scan.

To be honest I’m struggling to do normal everyday things and it’s affecting my mental health not being as active as I’ve always been. I have horses and it’s breaking my heart that I am unable to care for them as well as they need me to. I suffer with long term anxiety and depression along with PTSD so the horses are my lifeline.

please can anyone share their thoughts and advice.

stay safe everyone and take care.

Lisbeth

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hi @Lisbeth

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m sorry your hip pain is having such an impact on your quality of life. Things sound very tough for you at present and not being able to care for your horses at present must be especially difficult. As you say, that’s been a coping strategy for your emotional and mental wellbeing.

Thank you to Peter for providing the two links. I hope they have been helpful. You are

You have painted a very vivid picture of how stuck you are feeling as you wait to see a physiotherapist. There are some well-proven resources you can access to help you through this period. I would suggest Let’s Move with Leon – you can sign up via the ‘what help with hip pain’ page. There is also a more tailored rehabilitation programme for people with OA in the hip,. knees or spine. I have provided a link below. You can access the support tools on-line or on the app. They are designed to replicate the face-to-face programme and are free to use.

We are here on the helpline to provide tailored support for you. I do hope you will consider calling our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. There are other treatment options we can suggest that you ask your GP about.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hello @Lisbeth , I'm sorry you're having such a tough time at the moment. I can sympathise, the effect of my wrecked hip on my life during 2020 eclipsed the whole of the pandemic, which to me just felt like a minor inconvenience by comparison. It can leave you feeling drained and depressed, and having to give up or compromise on your day to day activities can be heartbreaking. Horses are very perceptive, so I hope they understand that you're doing your best.

I understand that the steroid injection can be very helpful, if only for a period of months when they need topping up. I've only had it in my hip, so don't have anything to compare it to. It's done under local anaesthetic by a surgeon, as they do it aided by a live xray (sorry, don't know how else to describe it) so they can see where the needle's going in to make sure it gets to the right spot. The faff of form filling before they do it takes longer than the procedure itself, which takes just a few minutes from beginning to end. It's a bit uncomfortable at the time, but we're both "pain warriors" and I'd say it's nothing compared to what our hips throw at us.

Unfortunately it didn't help me at all, as the damage in my hip has gone too far, but it was definitely worth a try, as it may benefit you and help you cope better.

Mags and Peter have given you some good links to follow regarding pain management. There are some useful tips on there, but what I've found works best for me is:

• Distraction - lose yourself in something you enjoy to take your focus away from the pain, and it seems to recede into the background, as well as helping ease your depression
    • mindfulness or meditation - when a bolt of pain hits, breathe through it and relax, as if you're tense the pain will feel worse. You may already have tried this for your depression and PTSD, but if you haven't I can thoroughly recommend it - the physiological and psychological benefits are now well understood and many doctors and consultants recommend it.
    • at night, work out a system of propping your body up with cushions to reduce pressure on your hip - I tend to sleep on my right side almost on my stomach, to take the weight off my dodgy left hip, but I put a cushion under my left hip so that it's slightly flexed. If it's completely straight, for me it's quite painful. I also have a cushion under my left foot so that also flexes my knee joint. See what works for you.
    • have a word with your doctor about reviewing your pain meds. Nothing will completely take away the pain, but they certainly help.
    • I'm unashamed about using a stick. It's a necessary part of staying on my feet a bit longer and with less pain. I'd be pretty much house bound without it.
    • be kind to yourself! Your body's having a tough time at the moment, so allow yourself time to rest and recover. Trying to push through the pain will only make it worse, and if I know I've got a day coming up where I'm on my feet more than is sensible, I schedule in some serious sofa time over the next few days. (with chocolate and netflix of course!)
    • ask for help. Tell friends and family how much pain you're in, and how it affects your daily tasks and your mental health. It's difficult for people who don't have experience of constant pain to understand, but it you don't tell them, they won't know. Ask for help with tasks that are too difficult for you, or simply let some things go. Not everything is so important that you have to be in pain just to get it done. My house looks a lot less cleaner and tidier than it did 12 months ago (even without the pandemic) but I've decided not to care. I'll sort it out later.

I hope these help. Do come on here for a moan, some tips, to share small successes, or just a giggle. We're a friendly lot and we all know how this feels. Arthritis is just total pants. It's ok not to feel ok about it.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

My Ex MIL swears by injections @Lisbeth I absolutely think there is nothing to lose by trying. It is more complicated in the sense that it is usually done under X-ray so they get it right.

Might need to be assertive with your GP and ask to be referred.

• Lisbeth
    Lisbeth Member Posts: 46

Hiya everyone

I’m overwhelmed by your kindness and understanding of my concerns and so very grateful for your words of wisdom. Thank you for caring.

your advice is much appreciated and I intend to do as much as I can to make this less of a problem by as many ways as possible.

Have a great bank holiday, Happy Easter to you all hoping for peace to everyone.🤗

• Hi Lisbeth

I'm so sorry to hear about the delay and worry that is concerning you about dealing with your hip pain.

If there's a lot going on, do ring us at the Helpline so we can listen to what's on your mind and offer ideas and support.

You've not said what type of arthritis is affecting you, whether it's osteoarthritis or another kind. Knowing the diagnosis can enable you to get the best information. Depending on what investigations have been done, we may be able to work that out when we speak to you, but if not a GP can help.

I do hope we can talk to you and be of further help.

best wishes

Guy - Helpline Team