Hi anyone waiting for hip replacement

Serenasj
Serenasj Member Posts: 14
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I am ... after first lockdown I was offered but freaked out and still scared

nhs my doctor apparently sent letter awaiting

Comments

• Hi @Serenasj, welcome to the online community! It's lovely to have you here.

I see that you are waiting for a hip replacement and understandably feeling nervous.

This page includes some information on the procedure including what you can expect on the day and tips for a smooth recovery: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/.

You might also find this discussion helpful: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/comment/678995#Comment_678995

Please do continue to browse and participate in the online community! It's good to talk with people who have similar experiences.

Best wishes, Sarah (mod) x

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Serenasj , I literally just had mine 6 hours ago, lying in hospital bed recovering. Are you on the waiting list yet? If not, make sure you are as it’s a VERY long list, specially after the effects of the last lockdown.

Really, don’t overthink it. When your turn comes up they will put in place everything you need, including gadgets and aids, and assess your home and support network. Just manage your condition on a day to day basis until then.

• Carolbee
    Carolbee Member Posts: 23

I’m waiting too, am at week 39, they start operating in two weeks on week 80 patients. I’m in East Kent

Living on the Kent coast and looking forward to a pain free future

• Serenasj

Hi lily Mary .... hope u have a speedy recovery and thank you for replying.... I’ve made such a mess of mine

was offered a chance last November in between first and second lockdowns but freaked out ... shocked thought a long waiting time even back then

met a couple of ladies in woods separate occasions and they said they’d had operations at a private clinic under nhs just had to ask doctors for referral... I did and was told by doctor letter had been sent and I’d been taking wrong tablets for pain ..,

the other day I chased up as it’s been over a year hobbling about!! Letter lost snd my surgery said sent urgent emsil

very scared... think I’ve totally messed up become a hermit .... do keep busy

• Serenasj

Just realised repeating myself... sorry 😞

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

You might find this useful to read @Serenasj ?

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Serenasj

Wow u sound amazing... and pretty strong lady... absorbing love to know how u r doing

• Lilymary

No stronger than anyone else right now @Serenasj , it’s a lot for your body to recover from, I’m in the grotty bit right now, but I know it will get much better soon. Currentlynlaid flat with lost op tummy upset so can’t exercise far from the bathroom (🤒😅) But hope to get out there soon.

• Serenasj

Poor u... hope tummy soon ok plus the rest❤️... so you’re together with a few other hip ops.. hip buddies?! Thinking of u

• Serenasj

Hi hope u r better

• Serenasj

Not heard from u ... r u feeling any better in your recovery

• Lilymary

Hi @Serenasj, sorry, I hadn’t spotted your kind enquiries. I've been updating on my thread titled “New Hip Day”, if you want to see how I’ve been getting on. I think there are a lot of people who go through a much faster recovery than me for no obvious reason, so I’m probably not a great example for someone who’s concerned about going in for the op, but I’m getting there. Just before the op the OA in my hip was so bad that the most I could manage was a carefully planned route round the supermarket to reduce how long I was on my feet, and I’d have to give up nearly all my leisure activities and could only just manage a vastly reduced work life. So while it’s a bit of a struggle at the moment, I get slightly better every day, and I know it will be worth it in the end. The alternative, with my hip just getting worse and worse and unbearably painful, restricting my life even more, was too awful to contemplate.

Honestly, just go for it. The docs know what they’re doing, they’ll take great care of you, it’s a short term faff, but you can start getting your life back afterwards.

• weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346

Hi there @Serenasj, I had both my hips replaced at the same time when I was 38 years old and it was the best thing I ever did. I was born with a bone condition causing Osteoarthritis in every joint and need all my joints replaced or fused. I went from being in agony, unable to do anything and being in a wheelchair to walking around and getting my life back. It is now 10 years on and my hips are still doing great. I got my operation on the Friday and was on my feet on the Saturday morning. It is frightening and daunting but there's plenty of advice, help and support in the hospital and on here. If you follow all the instructions from the physios etc you will recover quickly and be so glad you went ahead with the surgery. To date I have 2 new hips, 2 new elbows, one new knee and on the list for the other and 2 fused ankles. After my knee I will then go on to get my new shoulders. I hope you get your new hip and enjoy all the benefits it will bring to you. Take care 😊

Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Serenasj

Here is the link to Lilymary's thread it runs to some 6 pages I think at the momet!

Bets wishes

Ellen

• Carolbee
    Carolbee Member Posts: 23

I’m booked in for 15 July!

Living on the Kent coast and looking forward to a pain free future