Hi, new to the group

Options
AimiKay
AimiKay Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I’m new to the group and am a 52 year old lady and have just recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. It started in one knee and I now have it in both. It’s had a massive impact on my job, which is very physical and everyday life. I’m determined not to let it get me down and take over my life, as it has, so I’ve made a start in changing things. As a larger lady I’m loosing weight, I’m doing exercises and physio and I’m going to start swimming.

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211
    Options

Hi @AimiKay firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in your knees and it is affecting your work.

I want to say how fantastic it is that you have started to take lots of positive steps and taken action to try and help, keep it up.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to some information leaflets that could help, linked to your Osteoarthritis in your knees:

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help.

Take care and I hope you get some relief soon.

Thanks

Joe

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi @AimiKay , welcome to this lovely group. I’m sorry your OA is impacting your life, but you’re doing the right thing, adapting around it and being proactive at priming your body to support your ailing knees. Maintaining a positive attitude like this is really helpful, but there will come a time when you realise there are some things you can no longer do. When that comes, try to replace them with new things that you will enjoy, and cut yourself some slack.

there will be times when this gets you down though, no amount of positivity can prevent that. It’s ok to feel fed up, arthritis does that to you. Come on here for a moan when it gets too much, we all know how it feels.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hi @AimiKay

Welcome to the forum from me too.

Everyone here is so lovely and supportive my advice is to keep talking (to us lot probably) and keep reading reliable information like that from Versus Arthritis.

Well done for losing weight it has to help our joints to have less to carry about.

.I hope your place of work are supportive?