Work

My husband has rheumatoid arthritis and works as a self employed window cleaner. Fatigue and pain are making him struggle to work a full week and we are looking for any advice on what to do about it.

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

It’s so hard when your job, that determines your income, is so physical. Ideally some pacing is required, ie allot yourself a ration of energy each day, decide what you’re going to expend it on, and don’t go over your limit. If you overdo it, it will take much longer to recover. Also allow for rest days. If this means having to cut back on the work he does, sadly it may be a necessary part of keeping working. He could also change the way he works? using different equipment, getting help on more inaccessible properties etc. Getting a good handle on management with pain relief may also help.

• Hi Lexi2015,

Thank you for posting on our Helpline Forum. I am sorry to hear that your husband has rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and is struggling to work a full week due to pain and fatigue. As Lilymary has said, pacing himself, balancing activity with rest, and effective pain management, may help. Making changes to the way he works, using different equipment and getting more help, may also be worth considering.

Physically demanding jobs may pose particular challenges and obstacles for people with arthritis It sounds as if it would be good for your husband to talk things through with his rheumatology nurse and GP. A review of his medication may also help.

Having a healthy balanced diet and lifestyle, maintaining a healthy weight and exercising regularly, can make a difference.

If at any point you or your husband would like to talk things through informally and in confidence, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

I hope you will find the information given below of some help. Posting on our Living with Arthritis forum may generate more responses and be another source of support. 

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor