psoriactic arthritis...anybody have this ??

looking for posts or what to expect w/this type arthritis...where are my psoriactic people who understand this

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @patsouth welcome to the Online Community. Psoriatic Arthritis can affect people of any age and we have a number of active members with this condition.

Do take a look around the Community: if you put "Psoriatic Arthritis" into the Search Box, you will come up with a long list of articles about the subject: https://community.versusarthritis.org/search?Search=Psoriatic+Arthritis

Our web site also has a great page to start you off:

Do join in across the Community, ask questions and give support. you will be most welcome.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Hobble
    Hobble Member Posts: 83

Hi I have psoriatic arthritis

Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with it but I'm sure in some ways it's relief to finally have an answer for what you've been experiencing. As Brynmor said there are a few of us and some members with psoriatic arthritis are very well informed with a wealth of knowledge and the forum is very supportive. Any diagnosis can take a while to get your head around and you'll pick up information along the way. There's usually someone at some point who will try their best to answer any queries you might have.

Take care

Hobble

• Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Member Posts: 25

Oh how exciting to find you all! I've been diagnosed with PsA a few years back, at 31. Just started adalimumab. Thought I'd join (first day here today) because it is starting to sink in that this whole "everything is inflammed all the time" thing might not just go away πŸ™ A new paradigm will surely emerge... One of these days.

Central London based, look forward to making new friends here! πŸ˜πŸ’

• Elmbow
    Elmbow Member Posts: 80

Hello. I have psoriatic arthritis. I don't think mine is severe, but it's enough that I can't do everything I used to. I have had great relief from Humira for the pain and hydroxychloroquine for the stiffness and fatigue.

Right now I am so incredibly frustrated by psoriatic arthritis. It often doesn't show in tests or give you visibly swollen joints. So I know I'm having a flare but have little to show for it. I think this disease is woefully underresearched and I'm tired of the medical profession treating it as if it's mild rheumatoid arthritis with some skin problems. It's a distinct condition, on a spectrum with all these other inflammatory conditions like RA, yes - but it deserves its own identity and treatment approach. Most people have never heard of it, but it's only a bit less common than RA. You look for help or information and it barely gets a mention. As an example, you do one of those heart age tests and it asks you if you have RA. Because that's a risk factor for heart disease, so it's taken into account. But so is PsA, enormously. So that's how I feel about it right now because I'm in pain and I'm not getting enough help. I'm having to prove through MRIs that my debilitating SI joint pain is real before they will treat it, despite it being really hard to pick up on MRIs until the damage is done. Anyway, frustrating though it is there is a lot to be grateful for and positive about. I shouldn't reply when I'm in a grumpy mood πŸ˜†

@Flycatcher I am in London too. South London though. Nice to meet you.

• Flycatcher

Yes, I can relate to this so much. I don't have any skin psoriasis, so I refer to it as inflammatory arthritis now if talking to eg friends.

I also feel that as a girl in my early/mid 30s, I'm dismissed somewhat by the GP for having a health anxiety but I think it's all reasonable and justified because of the lack of information and other reasons like what you've mentioned.

I levitate between frustration, desperation and...actually being just fine with all this. I manage to transcend all this somewhat by being able to relate to others with any health difficulties. I don't feel alone but equally still somewhat in denial that my future isn't going to be what they tell you it might be when you're younger.

It's the same for everyone, life is unpredictable for everyone but normally you're blissfully unaware of it. It is starting to dawn on me, a few years into the diagnosis and having just started on adalimumab, that the rest of my life will be in a new paradigm "me + PsA". That's strange but also somehow simultaneously I know that I'll find a way to deal with it because I'm flexible with my thinking and because of all of you, guys!

(hm... Not always so philosophical! Or am I? Anyway, lunch time!)

• Flycatcher

I look forward to meeting up with you and others in London once it's safe to do that, perhaps at one of the face to face VA meetings in the future! Have a lovely day!

• RosieThorn
    RosieThorn Member Posts: 7

Hi, I think I have it, if that counts!

I've just joined this forum today. As of last night, I am 'diagnosed' with "? arthritis?" basically lol. I have all the symptoms of psoriasis arthritis , including the nail changes. I have to go back to the rheumatologist in two months.

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791

Hi@RosieThorn

have just welcomed you on your other post and given you a link

Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Flycatcher

Welcome to the club 😁✌️

I don't even have psoriasis, all envious here!! 😝Nobody believes I'm sick until my fingers blow up πŸ˜‚πŸ˜©

• RosieThorn
    RosieThorn Member Posts: 7

Haha, thanks, do we have tea and biscuits in the club? Well the rheumo didn't seem to think my nails were bad enough yet to officially be labelled psoriasis so I'm in the same boat really!

• Flycatcher

πŸ˜‚ The struggle is real! 😎 Tea and biscuits (fruit, rather) is our consolation.

Don't minimise your symptoms talking to docs!

Talk to family members for any psoriasis or joint pain symptoms and tell your docs if anything is relevant. Helped convince my doc who was unconvinced first...