Partial knee replacement

Chris
Chris Member Posts: 37
edited 10. May 2021, 13:02 in Living with arthritis

Hi Just asking for advice and experience? I had a partial knee replacement just over two weeks ago. Doing my physio and taking my pain meds. The surgeon was happy with the op and physio nurse was really nice. the only strange thing i am experiencing is when i am walking my knee clunks on the replacement side not sure it is a side effect of the swelling. On the plus side i don't feel my bones grinding together any more. I have spoken with the physio nurse about the clunking she did not seem concerned. I think because i have suffered for so long with my knee pain i am impatient and worried about a negative outcome.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Chris

I have had a good look through our page on knee replacement surgery and unfortunately can find no reference to "clunking" in the replacement whilst walking.

I would take the fact that the physio nurse is not concerned by this as a positive, although some explanation would be reassuring. Its certainly better than the feeling of bones grinding together.

I did find a reference to "strange noises" on the knee pain explained web site that said the following:

Strange Noises

Sometimes people find that their knee makes funny creaking/cracking/ popping noises after a knee replacement. This is nothing to worry about and usually settles down within a few months as everything heals.

So, no worries there 😀

• Have any other members who have had knee replacement surgery any experience of this? Do let us know.

• Chris

Hi Thanks for the information i have had some feedback from other members expressing similar feelings after knee replacement. And had the same opinion that it may recede over the next months. I am due to see the surgeon on the 3rd of June. If i have still got the clunking then i will certainly ask.

Kind regards

Chris

• The clunking if the same as my total left knee replacement in 17 has been there since i can here and feel the clunking through my body..

Good news is nothing to worry about my surgeon said its the cartilage just catching on the joint it might go away it might not even after doing leg raises in the gym its still there I've got used to it...

Speak to you surgeon he will put your mind at rest as.my right knee replacement doesn't do it...

• Chris

Thanks for the advice i see my surgeon on the 3rd of June i will ask him. On the whole my knee feels good no more grinding. Still in pain but gradually getting less. It's only 3 weeks post op now so early days.

• Chris

Nearly 4 weeks post op from right medial PKR. Getting better every day, yes i still have pain and discomfort but no more bone crunching. I am not expecting miracles but the surgical pain is definitely different to Arthritis pain. Onwards and upwards. Still a little clunky but it's to be expected.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Great to hear there is a slow but steady improvement @Chris and the clunking seems to have gone 👍

• Chris

Thanks Brynmor, I still get the clunking but not as often. Like you say slow and steady improvement.👍️

• Chris

Four and a half weeks post op from right partial knee replacement. Managed two short walks yesterday with no walking aids. Total of 3 kilometers. I was quite sore afterwards but ice and elevation helped.

My only concern is i am having to ice and elevate my knee during the night still. Have any other members experienced this?

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi Chris,

I had a TKR a couple of years back. If you can imagine the operation, lots of your tendons/muscles etc were really pulled around and messed up. This is going to take a longer time to get better than the new partial knee to get settled in. I was told by my consultant that it could take up to 2 years for everything to be fully back to normal. He was pretty much right at that. It's the soft tissue injuries that the ice and elevation are helping, they will get better, promise!

Wazz xx

• Chris

Thanks Wazz42 its good to know

Kind regards

Chris

• suelema
    suelema Member Posts: 14

I have heard people say their knee clunk's after surgery, but if in doubt or concerned ask the consultant at a follow up appointment or phone their secretary and say you would like to discuss with them.