Post THR

Cazbaz
Cazbaz Member Posts: 71
edited 15. May 2021, 15:10 in Living with arthritis

Good evening, I had a THR 4 weeks ago and I must say very little pain apart from the fact my outside lower leg is numb and tingling, I have been told this should all get better, also the compression socks they gave me were so tight after 4 days I had to cut them off as I was in so much pain, having heparin injections for blood clots I decided to leave socks off, has anyone else had these kind of problems. Thank you

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I had THR 4 weeks ago too. My pressure socks were so loose they made little difference! I’m on apixaban pills for blood clots, no problems with them. I’m still in quite a bit of pain and discomfort, particularly around the hip but occasionally to thigh and shin. Worst in the groin (I think they crushed a nerve during dislocation). The outside of my leg is mostly pretty numb, but it does get painful round the scar sometimes. The pain in the first few weeks was about as bad as the OA was! Still, slowly getting better, but really frustrating.

• Cazbaz

Hi Lilymary, I have been following your progress, thanks for the laughs 😂 I seem to be getting more pain as time passes, I suppose it could be because we are moving more. The numbness in my lower leg is driving me mad, I phoned my doctors this morning to make an appointment regarding not being able to sleep due to lower leg, the earliest appointment was for 27th so that was a waste of time. How are you getting on with your exercises etc?

• Lilymary
    edited 15. May 2021, 00:10

Hi Cazbaz, I was in too much pain to do much in the first few weeks, but walking seemed less painful so I did a bit of that to start with. The really awful pain has gone now so I’m trying to exercise more, but I tend to forget! I managed two sessions today plus a short walk, but I’m going to make a real effort to do three sessions a day (they only take about 10 minutes each). Too early to say whether they’re helping, but my physio, who I trust, promises they will. I have been spending too long at the computer trying to keep on top of what’s left of my work (I’ve put most of it on hold ‘until further notice’) and that really hurts my hip and rump, so I need to be more disciplined about taking frequent breaks. It’s difficult, as it breaks my chain of thought, but the pain isn’t worth it. You may be right about moving about making it worse, but it has to be done. My physio says it’s time to start pushing myself through the exercises a bit, but to build it up gradually and not overdo it.

how about you? What exercises are you trying at this stage? was your hospital any good at giving you guidance on exercise and what to expect etc when they discharged you?

sorry to hear about the numbness in your leg. That must be maddening, probably nerve damage, I think that’s why I’ve had restless legs at night more than usual, they keep me awake for hours sometimes, have you tried ringing your surgeon about it? Are you due for a six week follow up? You could raise it with him then,

• Cazbaz

Good morning Lilymary, my physio has now put me on the next level of exercises, up and down step, resistance band work etc. Etc. They do test the hip and leg much more, think I overdid it the first day. The surgeon did tell me there was slight nerve damage as I couldn’t flex my foot but it would get better and it is improving, to be honest the numbness started after wearing those tight compression socks but I will talk to the surgeon about it when he phones me next week. You are doing better than we regards walks, i have only walked in the back garden and up and down the drive I think I lack confidence at the minute. Time for first set of exercises, resistance band at the ready, hope you have a good day

• Lilymary

Hi Cazbaz, I don’t do the walks on my own, Mr LM accompanies me. The worst bit is our garden, which is on a steep slope and includes 14 steps, so just walking round the garden isn’t an option for me. You should have seen me trying to get from the car to the front door when I first came home from hospital! Walking was far less painful than exercises in the early days, so it was better than nothing.

What are you doing with the resistance bands? that sounds like hard work! Build it up slowly. I can already do just a little more today than I could a few days ago.

• Cazbaz

Hi Lilymary, I will certainly get hubby to come with me, I have to place resistance band round my knees then push my hip side leg out pushing against the band as far as I can, I’m finding doing the up and down on a step the hardest but will persevere, we will both be walking miles later in the year I’m sure

• Lilymary

Wow, I find that hard enough without the bands! Well done! I’m just starting steps, my hip’s not happy about it. 🙄

• Cazbaz

I’ve just read your post, don’t think I could raise my leg that high and move it, well done but don’t overdo it

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

It seems to me you're doing really well. I have had two THRs and my husband had his second around the same time as you. It's great that you've had little pain: not so great about the nerve trouble. I wonder, did you have an anterior cut? Most of us have posterior ones. The anterior do tend to cause less pain because the muscles aren't cut but are more susceptible to some temporary nerve damage as the surgeon has much less room to work in.

The dreaded socks? Both I and Mr SW cut ours off after approximately 24 hours (Don't tell anyone😉). He's been given the blood thinning jabs both times. My ops were a long time ago and I wasn't but I think the key is to keep moving so that clots can't form. You sound to be very conscientious about your exercises so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I took ages to get outside. I have RA in virtually all other joints so keeping upright is a challenge any time😉 Mr SW is already striding out down the village without a stick and starting to dream of the golf course but he's being sensible and still doing his exercises. Good luck!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Cazbaz

I had posterior one, surgeon did say nerve damage would right itself I sincerely hope so as it drives me mad, it does cause me quite a lot of pain especially at night when I’m laying down, doesn’t interfere with walking and exercises but I am just conscious of it. I couldn’t stand the socks they hurt so much that’s why I cut them off, don’t think the hospital gave me the correct size but I did have 28 day course of injections which have thankfully finished, didn’t really trust hubby with needle😂but he was great, I do religiously do my exercises and also elevate my legs in bed and when sitting down. I’m so glad I joined this group it’s informative and also makes me laugh which we all need at the moment. Take care

• Lilymary

Wow @stickywicket , Mr SW walking out and about without a stick! awesome progress! I’m tentatively taking a few steps indoors without mine, but my muscles need to be much stronger, the hip feels very unstable still. I think the pain I had in the first few weeks, which prevented exercise, has knocked me back a lot, but I’ll catch up eventually 🤞

• Cazbaz

Well done Lilymary and Mr SW, I haven’t attempted walking without a stick yet, the worse thing I have noticed since operation apart from some pain and the numbness in my leg is the state of my skin I know I am an old wrinkly but now I look like one 😂

• Lilymary

I noticed that too @Cazbaz , i’ve got loads of dry skin on my legs that I never had before. My operated leg is still a different colour to it’s partner, right down to my toes. I've tentatively tried a few steps without my stick in the kitchen but I couldn’t call it a success. I still use both crutches outside, and one round the house. I was able to walk out like this (VERY slowly and carefully) within a week of surgery, but oddly it was still too painful to do the exercises. I reckoned the walking was better than nothing.

• Cazbaz

Hi Lilymary, every step is a success, just feel proud of yourself.

• Cazbaz

5 weeks post op., haven’t had much pain apart from the numb lower leg until today and I don’t know if I overdid things yesterday but for the first time my hip feels quite tender, ok whilst walking but not so good when it comes to going to bed, not much sleep last night, getting fed up watching The Chase in the early hours😂think I may have to take things a little bit easier tomorrow and see how things go.

• Lilymary

How far have you been walking @Cazbaz ? Are you still on both crutches? Are you doing any physio exercises?

• Cazbaz

hi @Lilymary haven’t been outside walking this week as would you believe I’m full of cold but I have been doing about 2000 to 3000 steps indoors throughout the day and my exercises twice a day (10 minute sessions) only using one walking stick now

• Lilymary

That’s a quite a bit more than me, although tbh I should be doing more anyway, fatigue has been slowing me up lately. My physio says if I feel sore for more than 10 minutes after exercise I’m probably doing too much. Haven’t reached that point yet though! I use one crutch in the house but usually two when I’m out for stability. I went round town on one crutch earlier in the week, but I regretted it.

• Crookrise
    Crookrise Member Posts: 18

My physio told me yesterday that I'd know when I'm ready to walk without sticks when I find myself launching off without them without even realising I'm doing it. He said one stick is fine provided my walking pattern is good but to go back to two when I start to waddle. Also suggested taking a few seconds to stretch out my hips and stand tall every time I stand up.

• Cazbaz

Good morning @ Crookrise, I did leave my stick in the toilet and was half way through the kitchen before I realised then I panicked and grabbed the worktop, I guess it’s all a question of confidence. I love a good stretch when I stand up🙂I think the thing I’m finding most difficult is remembering not to bend or twist. I can walk well with bare feet but walking in shoes is another matter, I have a little bit of nerve damage in my leg and foot (surgeon said that would get better)and it is hampering me a little bit when walking in shoes or slippers, hope you are doing well

• Cazbaz

Hi@Lilymary hope you are well, you seem to be walking outside much more than me which I’m very envious of, I really must try harder next week, hopefully the weather will improve, my only problem is as I don’t sleep much at night I do tend to nap a lot during the day when I should be active but one can only do ones best. Keep up the good work👏

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Cazbaz, you've just made me realise why I was always so slow to get outside walking post-op. My hands can't hold crutches or sticks so I've always just walked round the furniture post-op. And we don't have any in the garden😁 Well, not conveniently placed.

Re daytime napping - it takes a long time for anaesthetic to get out of the system and pain relief can add to the sleepiness. Mind you, I've always reckoned Mr SW's eyes close automatically once his bottom hits the recliner seat. Nothing to do with ops, anaesthetic or pain relief.

He's now managing 20 min walks (no more sticks) but still exercising three times per day as his aim is to get back on the golf course asap with as full a range of movement as possible. I can only encourage him. Even in the best of marriages you can have too much togetherness😉

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Cazbaz

Hi @stickywicket , yes I blame the painkillers for napping during the day, shame they don’t work at night 😂I had the spinal injection which was great, my goal next week is too go out every day for a walk I just wish I could walk better with shoes on, it’s too cold to go outside barefooted, I agree about togetherness, this is the most time we have spent together in 52 years, I think hubby is getting a tad fed up with it😂😂

• Lilymary

Wow @stickywicket , I’m envious of Mr SW walking without sticks. I wobble alarmingly to the left on every step without my crutch. So I’ve still got a long way to go with that. More targeted exercises required.

I’m on just a few paracetamol a day now, but I still have very sleepy days. I try not to let myself nap to avoid a bad night’s sleep, but I still get bad nights anyway when my legs start their party tricks.

• Cazbaz

Feel like a zombie today, no sleep at all last night, I shall be so pleased when I can lie on my side again, feel as if I have achieved something this morning as planted 4 hanging baskets just got to wait to see if they grow, not very warm outside think a nice cup of tea would go down well🙂