Tramadol

Options

Hi All

My pain is really making life difficult and I have now been prescribed Tramadol and Sertraline to add to the Naproxen I take and Amitriptyline at night. As the waiting lists are now sooooo long I wondered what thoughts you have on the use of Tramadol knowing that I'd be taking it for some considerable time and that it can be addictive. I have osteoarthritis in both hips and scoliosis and walk with a stick. Am on the routine waiting list.

Comments

• HI @Figgy

Sorry to hear that you're in so much pain and that it's making things difficult for you. I understand your concerns about taking Tramadol for long periods, especially as waiting lists never really seem to have an end at times! I haven't had any personal experience with Tramadol but there will probably some of our lovely members here who are willing to share their knowledge.

You have been prescribed the Tramadol to use (of course) but if you are concerned about the length of time you could be using it for then I would maybe just contact your GP and raise your concerns. They should review the medication with you regularly anyway so I would like to think that they'll be monitoring use.

We do have a little information here about painkillers, including opioids such as Tramadol which you might like to take a look at:

I hope you are able to gain some useful information to help put your mind at ease, but please do just keep talking to us!

Take care,

Sarah

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

I have taken tramadol in the past @Figgy (like the name - I have a Figaro car we call them Figgys)

It was pre and post back surgery and it was pretty effective. I know nothing gets rid of the pain perfectly, but it helped a lot. I suppose in all I took it for about 6 maybe 9 months and had no trouble at all coming off it. I just reduced it down as soon as i felt I could in small steps. If surgery is an option for you I am sure you can follow a similar path in time.

My pharmacist said amitrip is addictive, but when I have needed it I have taken it. I expect a lot of our medications are, but we have little choice at time if we are going to have a quality of life sadly.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I have taken Tramadol in the past and found the side effects I had outweighed any benefit it provided. I have now been on Morphine for 7 or 8 years and have never had a review.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

I'm with Mike. I hate trammies or, at least, my stomach does.

I think, under proper medical supervision, the problem with opioids is not addiction but toleration. Our bodies gradually get used to them so that we need a higher dose or stronger med. I did, briefly, take oxycodone and amitrip when, according to my orthopaedic consultants' best guess, a bit of cement broke off my THR and lodged on a nerve. He said it would likely, eventually, dislodge itself so I determined to get off them after 6-8 weeks of missing half the day as I was asleep. Fortunately it went well.

In 'normal life' I take an absolute minimum of pain relief but we all have to decide for ourselves what is tolerable and what is not and, even then, circumstances change. These decisions are not easy. i wish you well whatever you opt for.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 698
    Options

I was initially prescribed Tramadol but it never agreed with me - I felt really spaced out with it. I took it along with Naproxen. My GP changed me to Co-Codamol along with Etodolac and Amitriptyline for night use and I've been using that until recently when my GP changed me onto Co-Dydramol and Etodolac and my rheumatology nurse increased my Amitriptyline at night.

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

I’m taking tramadol at the moment not really getting on with them so have started to reduce down I’m with Mike the side effects are not great they make name very groggy and feel sick not to mention the headaches but they do take the edge of for a little while

good luck

Jona 😊

• Figgy
    Figgy Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you all for your helpful advice, I will bear it all in mind when making a decision. Can’t wait for a day to be really me without drugs. I live in hope.