Struggling and looking for knee arthritis buddy for mutual support

hamilton10
hamilton10 Member Posts: 14
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi

I'm waiting for a total knee replacement and am told that the wait is a year. I'm middle aged but ridiculously young in outlook and I'm determined to do all I can to improve life but at the moment am finding it very hard as the pain is relentless. My knees were pretty manageable until lockdown and I am convinced that working at home has had a massively bad impact on me. I think if I had a 'buddy' in a similar position we might support and encourage each other to exercise, lose weight, go out, stay (relatively) positive etc. Is there anyone out there who is in a similar state who would be interested in some mutual encouragement and support?

x

Comments

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi hamilton10,

Just a little something to make you smile (I hope)

• Jona
  • wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Sounds like you may have found someone 😀 but I bet the more the merrier!

Yvonne x

• Jona

A whale swims all day, only consumes fish and water, and is fat. A rabbit only eats vegetables, runs and hops all day long, and only lives 5 years. Meanwhile a tortoise doesn't run and does nothing energetic, yet it lives for 450 years. And you tell me to eat well and exercise! I don't think so.

• Jona

I don't need a personal trainer as much as I need someone to follow me around and slap the unhealthy foods out of my hand

• Jona

I never thought I'd be the type of person who would get up early in the morning to exercise. I was right.

• hamilton10
    hamilton10 Member Posts: 14

Hi

Thanks for this 🤣, been off here for a while but back on now!

xxx

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223

Hi @hamilton10 I think your idea of a buddy is really good. I have OA in my hip rather than the knee so not the best match for you. I had prostate cancer seven years ago and volunteer for the Prostate Cancer UK buddy, or one to one support scheme which matches people with those having had similar experiences. I think it's a good means of sharing, non-medical advice, support and encouragement.

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @hamilton10

this buddy ideas sounds great, tell us more about your idea and lets see what we can get set up. All the best ideas come from you our members

Many thanks

Sharon

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223

Hi @Sharon_K I did some research into cancer charity buddy schemes. I guess I shouldn't post the document in this forum so I'll message it to you.

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @RogerBill

that is brilliant thank you!

Sharon