About my knee

Options

Hi . Please can you help me .I have got

Osteoarthritis in both knees last year i had Pratt knee replacement in my left knee (this was second op on that knee). No wait for a full knee replacement on right . I have speak to doctor twice and m having face to face in the 9th august. As I n Ed’s to lose weight.before op . lol have lost half of stone but need to lose more . The problem is my knee is so bad and my foot is now starting to go numb and pins and needles and my left knee is hurting as I’m put the pressure on that one. I’m no 8 Co-Codamol 2 naproxen 1 omeprazole and it’s still not working . The doctors said to my the waiting list us 18 mouths .I really don’t think I’m can wait that long as it’s so bad . What can I do and why has my foot gone numb.

thank you

elaine xx

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Elaine42 welcome to the Online Community, lovely to have you here.

I understand that as a result of osteoarthritis in both knees you are now waiting for full knee replacement surgery. With long waiting times, the knee is getting worse and affecting the other knee which has previously been operated on.

You have an appointment with your doctor in a few weeks and it is they who will be able to diagnose the numbness that has appeared in your foot. Do ask for additional medication or a change to help with the pain.

There is some useful information on our web site on managing osteoarthritis in the knee, including reducing strain, weight management and advice on exercise. Do let us know how you get on.

Join in across the Community and don't hesitate to call in for a chat, ask more questions and say how things are going. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Blooms11
    Blooms11 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Just need some advice iv got arthritis in my left knee iv had a X-ray and it’s on the inside of the knee I’m on coodmol and naproxen and I’m having my second steroid injection middle of this month which dose help a lot but lasts for only 3 months iv been told by consultant I need a full knee replacement operation but the waiting list is so long I could wait any thing up to 5 years iv asked the dr if I could have a scan just to check for peace of mind if it is all arthritis or maybe a injury but I’m told this is up to the physiotherapist it took me 8 wks just to get a appointment over the phone ☹️ I get sharp stabbing pains and feels like a burning sensation dose any one else get this sort of pain with there arthritis

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hi @Blooms11,

Thank you for commenting and for sharing your story with us all here.

First of all, welcome to the online community. Thank you for joining us and I hope that you find this a safe and welcoming space.

I understand that you have arthritis in your left knee and that you have been told you need to knee replacement. However the waiting list could take up to 5 years. You would like to have a scan to double check whether the damage is all arthritis or maybe a previous injury. You get sharp stabbing pains and it feels like a burning sensation.

I think pain can be very personal and we can all experience it differently. I don't personally experience my pain in my knees like that but I wouldn't that means that its not arthritis. I have, however, had 2 knee replacements and although the waiting lists can be horrendous, I do have to say that its changed my life. As I said though, we all experience things differently.

Ive included a couple of links for you have knee replacements and pain. I hope that they are informative but there is a wealth of information of the main Versus Arthritis website that you may or may not have seen. If not, I would encourage you to check it out.

Once again, thank you so much for commenting and please do keep getting involved.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• remmingtonwildhunter
    Options

I had numbness and pins and needles in my foot after my right knee replacement i was told its where they stretch and bend your knee in surgery the tendons and nerves get a bashing it does settle down mine was cold as well ..

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Looking back at my reply, I notice that I missed out posting the useful links I had found for @Elaine42 . 😮

Many thanks to @anneb82 for finding them and adding them to this thread in her reply to @Blooms11 😄