As much about my head as my hip

Options

Having been newly diagnosed with an arthritic hip, I feel like I've just been sent down for life for being old. After a lifetime of full mobility, I'm finding it hard to accept. There has been a furtive tear or two. Gathering and exchanging information is my first therapy to adapt to my new situation, and I will give it my characteristic mix of honesty and dark humour.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

A good plan, @Damned69 . I've 'been old' since I was 15 😉 and enjoyed most of it. Now I'm officially old I've gots lots of practice in.

My advice - ignore it as much as possible, exercise regularly and expect to pay next day if you overdo things but bear in mind that sometimes it's worth it.

Good luck😊

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 10. Jun 2021, 15:09
    Options

It's ok not to feel ok about this @Damned69 , arthritis really is pants. I'm truly not the weepy type but this has got to me on more than a few occasions.

One of the tricks is to listen to everything @stickywicket says. It certainly worked for me 😉. ((x))

When my OA came out of the blue and hobbled me overnight, I just found new ways to do things. A few I had to give up, but that freed up more time to do other things I enjoy without guilt or "fomo". My job is very active, so I just started using a stick rather than stop doing it. Or found work that was less physically demanding (I'm self employed so have that luxury). I confess though that it was getting to the stage that I was questioning whether I could continue working at all, then surgery finally loomed over the horizon. Meanwhile, when I couldn't get out in the hills any more, I rambled round fields, and when I couldn't do that, I rolled up my trouser legs and me and my stick paddled in the river instead. Don't stop being young at heart just because you're body's getting a bit crabby.

Also, ask for help when you need it. Tell people close to you what's happening to you, and how constant pain can make you feel, it can be physcially and mentally exhausting, but this is hard for non-pain-sufferers to understand. If you're not up to accepting an invitation one day, either find something you can do with them as an alternative, or try again another day when you may be feeling better. But don't hide why.

Modify your exercise - no more high impact stuff like running etc. But it's important to keep your body going as much as you can without aggravating your joint, both to keep good muscle tone and mobility, and for mental health. I managed gentle pilates and yoga-lite(!) up until everything really kicked off. Some moves I couldn't do so well, I just did what I could.

And when the pain's bad, distraction is a really valuable tool. Lose yourself in something else, and the pain will move into the background. Mindfulness and meditation (which I suspect you are very familiar with) can also be helpful. As can drugs! Getting through OA is largely about managing pain. Drugs won't completely mask it, but should make it bearable. Make sure your GP sorts this out for you, and review it if necessary.

Not sure if someone else has directed you to this link, but I found it really helpful.

There's a few points to be getting on with. I'm 8 weeks post hip replacement now after 15 months of complete and utter hellishness. The pandemic was a mild inconvenience compared to OA. It's still a bit grim, but the light at the end of the tunnel is beckoning. You're at the beginning of a journey, not the end of life as you know it.